Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace SS factory headunit with aftermarket system

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
Gotta suck to be the previous owner of the SS that it came outta.

Yeah I'd be happy to just run an amp, some aftermarket speakers and possibly a sub. Don't bother me to much bout a new Headunit.

Brownie

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Gotta suck to be the previous owner of the SS that it came outta.

Yeah I'd be happy to just run an amp, some aftermarket speakers and possibly a sub. Don't bother me to much bout a new Headunit.

Brownie

Thats very easy to do mate. You can get High level converters. They convert the high level out from your headunit to low level that an amp requires.

You can also get high level converters built into amps.

I have a Focal amp sitting under the drivers seat running Focal K2 Splits in the front doors and focal speakers in the rear. It sounds awesome!

tandt_2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2010 holden commodore
Thanks everyone for the replies.

The main reason I want to replace the factory headunit is for the iPod connectivity. Basically there just isn't any in the factory unit. I have spoken to the major car audio provider here in Newcastle and he did inform me there is a double din facia coming, however I thought I might found something on here that is already available.

I do also know of some good news regarding the new Commodore (VF). The VF will have an upgraded stereo which will have (apparently) full iPod connectivity and much better sound quality. I have a few friends in Holden who have told, just wish they would have said this before I purchased the VE in Feb this year, otherwise I would have held off.

Anyway if someone finds something, let me know.

luke746

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
at the moment im running 2-12" orion subs in custom boxes and 2 clarion amps on a fake floor in the boot and i got 6.5 splits in the front doors and 2 6x9 in the parcel shelf.
it doesnt sound to bad but ive got a 5.1 channel line out converter under the dash

Last edited:

tezza_vess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV A6 (MY10)
Man... the second, and I THE SECOND you hear of a double din work around as youve described, I want love it if you could get on here and tell us all! I reckon there's a mountain of money to be made by someone who can properly develop a full replacement kit for the VE.

Don't worry, I will :)

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
If you have the headunit with the screen Ipod connectivity is very simple, even with the standard headunit without the screen it is very simple. you just cant display your ipod screen on your headunit.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Cocopopz: All VE headunits have a front AUX input (yes, even the Omega's HU), which allows you to listen to your iPod through the VE's stereo, however what the OP wants is the ability to control the iPod through the headunit/steering wheel audio controls, which is impossible on the stock VE headunit.

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
What is the Rear AUX used for?? I was looking through some paperwork and it was refering to the rear AUX.

*Thats very easy to do mate. You can get High level converters. They convert the high level out from your headunit to low level that an amp requires.

You can also get high level converters built into amps.*

Do you know of any Amps that have this feature??

Cheers,
Brownie

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
The rear AUX is used for the optional rear seat DVD player, so that you can run the audio from it through the car's speakers.