Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced Diff.... PROBLEMS!

Influx69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS - 280rwkw
hey guys having some problems at the moment. About 5 weeks ago i replaced my lsd in my ute with a welded diff (lsd needed to be shimmed) changed the diffs over and all was fine. Yesterday the weld on the diff im guessing snapped because when i go round corners or when im parking it doesnt skip anymore and when giving it a bit of gas its like its slipping out of gear (just revs off its head but doesnt go anywhere). So yesterday i changed the diffs back over put everything back together go to take off and doesn't drive anywhere and when you put the car back in park from drive it makes and awful crunching sound. Is there because the gears arnt lining up properly in the crown gear or the axles havent been hit in far enough?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rhys

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
might be a auto prob then if you have probs with the drive? Why welded the diff and not spool it? I know spooling can get you a nice sticker tho

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Does the tailshaft still turn when its put into gear?If it is turning,the problem is in the diff.Probably a broken axle shaft..

Influx69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS - 280rwkw
I don't think it would be a broken axle because everything wass fine when I took it out. Im thinking its just something that hasn't been put in properly. The car was still driving before I pulled it all apart again

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
might have to pull it apart and have a look or drain the oil out to see if there is metal in it..

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Broken weld, broken axle, broken auto - could be lots of things. Need to put the car on axle stands and properly diagnose the problem. Since you "fixed" your diff by welding it in the first place I don't hold much hope that will ever happen though.

Reaper

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A diff centre needs to be set up properly anyway.The pinnion has to be set so the crownwheel tooth markings line up in the tooth centre on drive the side, and just off centre on the overdrive side.This is adjusted with shims fitted to,or removed from the pinnion.The basklash also has to be set.Ive seen diffs last only a couple of thousand k's because they werent set up properly or not at all..

Influx69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS - 280rwkw
Just started it up and put it in drive, tailshaft is spinning. When you put it back into park it makes a bad crunch sound like its not grabbing the gear or something

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thats because the tailshaft is still turning when you put it back into park,just like when you put it into park whilst moving along still.Its definitely something broken in the diff.