Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement Aerial Mast Problem

paevans257

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
I woudl be interested in seeing a procedure for replacing the mast. From reading the post, this seems fraught with problems, and I am aprehensive about even starting.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
No it is a simple job so long as you don't think to much about it.. As I've stated I've changed few and never had all the issues as above ;)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I woudl be interested in seeing a procedure for replacing the mast. From reading the post, this seems fraught with problems, and I am aprehensive about even starting.

Me too mine is stuck in the up position . It makes all the right noises when you turn the radio on and off but it won't move , i can't even push it down .

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Me too mine is stuck in the up position . It makes all the right noises when you turn the radio on and off but it won't move , i can't even push it down .

You will find that you will have to remove it again and rotate the rope so it actually bites to the running gear inside the power ant motor.

lol how true. But I don't wanna touch another one for the rest of my life.

LOL classic.. Well I'm happy to do them. As I don't personally think there hard to do ;)

Lewy47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
VX antenna question

I am about to replace a mast and rope on my VX SS auto antenna. The question I have is: Is there any way of setting it up such that the antenna only goes up when the radio is on and comes down if a CD is being played. It irks me on long drives when I'm playing CDs and that stupid antenna is flopping around in the breaze for no reason. Why did Holden take out the antenna switch which was on the VK(I think)? That at least allowed you to decide for yourself how high or low the antenna was.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
AFAIK a VX should do that automtically when a CD is in with the stock stereo?! If you have an aftermarket stereo it is it's responsibility to send it up or down. If it doesn't do it properly maybe think about wiring up a switch to keep it down?

Lewy47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I hate power antennas

Can anyone tell me why the replacement mast and rope I purchased from Rare Spares refuses to fit back into the vertical tube that sits upright of the motor? (Car is a VX SS)To get the old mast out, I had to chop the tip off in order to remove it from this tube. I have the the tube off of the motor. That's fine but the mast will not fit from either direction. There is a white plastic piece at the base of the mast which hindered the tube. In desperation, I trimmed this with a knife until I could squeeze this into the tube. However I then found that there is a metal sleeve on the mast which absolutely will not fit the opening of the tube. I think this sleeve is designed to locate the mast within the tube and keep it stable. I used brute force and ignorance to no avail. I'm pretty sure it's the right part, it certainly looks the same as the original I removed.
I am deadset pissed off. I am driving from Sydney to Adelaide next weekend and need the thing working. If anyone can set me up with a complete antenna before next week then I am all ears.
Thanks

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
you didnt attatch the rope to the wrong side of the gear did you? that would explain its reverse behaviour...

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I had the same prob when i put a new mast in mine last weekend .You have to cut off the metal tube on the new mast , then ,on the end of the antena where the mast comes out you need to use a pair of pointy nose pliers and pull the black plastic tube out . The new mast should now fit . To replace the plastic tube you need to cut it down one side and slip it over the mast then slide it into position and then just assemble the rest .