Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing a VP water pump

warrickj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Wagon
Hi All

I have finally worked out where my water leak was coming from - only leaked when the motor was running and even then only slowly.

Water was evident on the ground under the car but appeared to be coming from any and everywhere...

Have now worked out it is the water pump and the slow drip was being caught by the fan belt and then carried to the sump and dripped.

I can't work out how to relieve the tension on the belt to be able to get at the water pump though.

Any ideas?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Everyone has to start somewhere I guess.

If you haven't figured it out already, make a note of the belt run first (a sketch or digital photo). Use an 18mm ring spanner or 18mm socket and bar on the bolt on the top idler pulley to rotate the pulley and arm assembly, which is spring loaded, anti-clockwise (as viewed from the front of the car) to release the belt.

When reinstalling the belt, leave the water pump pulley until last as it doesn't have grooves and the belt can be slid over it easiest. Check that the belt is sitting properly in the grooves in all the pulleys prior to starting the car.