Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing ac compressor

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
Is it easier to remove the ac compressor from an LS1 from the top or the bottom
Whats the procedure

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
I havent done it myself but i would assume that it comes out the front/top of the engine bay, as the k-frame, the extractors/headers, and the rad support/cross member(whatever u want to call it)? and the lower coolant and p/s lines would get in the way...
I could be wrong, and someone will correct me if that is the case...but i just went and had a quick look at mine, so that is what ive gathered, and thats how i would tackle it.

U may need to remove, and then clamp (to prevent loss of coolant) the heater hoses from the water pump, and move the battery and/or positive cable out of the way a bit, but it should come out via the top/front as there looks to be enough room- provided theres no oil catch can in the way aswell (like mine, which would also need to be removed)

1- degas system
2- remove wiring harness plug(s)
3- loosen lower aux idler and remove a/c drive belt (the main belt may need to be removed 1st, but i cant remember)
4- remove a/c pressure lines
5- remove compressor bolts - top & bottom
6- remove 2x 'smaller' heater hoses from the side of the water pump
7- remove compressor

Last edited:

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Because some banana misdiagnosed it and said the leak I had was the compressor. It was just the seal where the hose-manifold meets the compressor. The compressor was fine all along (and still is).