Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing front ball joints on vr vs

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Hi all. Well I've done many a repair to commos b4, but never had to do front ball joints on vr vs before.

When I bought my car it came with a new pair of ball joints for free. They need replacing pretty badly now.

haven't taken much notice of vr vs ball joints in the past.. But I thought they were fixed on by rivet style bolts? Can these b replaced on the DIY?

someone who's done it before, swing some advice my way pls!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yea if untouched they are the rivits from factory, which need angle grinding off then using the bolts supplied and ur done.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Mine came with some black high tensile bolts but some were missing. I just figured the previous owner just tried to match up some bolts. Therefore I take it it's safe to use high tensile bolts to replace the rivets?

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Yep, my replacement ball joints came with high tensile bolts. I just broke the collet on the rivet with a hammer and chisel, ball joint just falls off afterwards.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
when i replaced my ball joints on me vs i kept getting knocking noises....so cheked if everything was tight to specifications....found that tightening the ball joint bolts helped. then it started doing it again, so i went to bolt joint spent a whole 4 bucks for some high tensile allen head bolts/nuts/wash's. took old bolts out....they were all about to snap!!!! ......have not had a problem since

inotherwords....Dont use the supplied bolts!! i used 2 different branded ball joints and both sides came with different looiking bolts and both sides almost snaped

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive also had replacement balljoint bolts fail, twice. (theres an old post on here somewhere about it). When they first snapped, it put me into a gutter , luckily nothing was really damaged that badly.. The 3 bolts just snapped clean in half when I braked heaps hard. I ended up going back to where I bought the ball joints from, and they gave me 2 more replacement ball joints, which I fitted, and when I checked them after a week or so , the bolts seemed to have stretched and were about to break again. I ended up buying either grade 8 or 9 bolts and nuts, I dont rememeber which, and its been fine ever since.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
yeah those bolts say there high tensile (one that come with ball joints) but really there ****. i actually looked at mine after i saw your post Brett_jjj and thorght that i should replace the bolts, have not have a problem since and i feell so much safer lol. have not had a problem since

redvpsenator

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator & VS Ute
Buy quality joints and use locktite. TWR part no's JBJ7530 & JBJ7543.