Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing heads

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
New performance heads will be ready in two weeks I'm considering saving $400 and removing and refitting them myself.
What I need to know is, is there anything I need to do besides unbolting, cleaning and rebolting everything back together? My VR/VS manual only cover the Eco engine, unfortunately, so I am just doing the job from experience on other engines, plus previous experience from replacing the manifold gaskets a couple of years ago. I did remove the heads from my spare engine but looking for tips, to make sure I don't balls it up.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
it's fairly easy to do i hadn't even touched a v6 when i replaced the heads on my vp calais if you take your time .
the biggest problem is making sure you have the correct heads as i was sold a set of reconditioned heads but they were the wrong ones and had to have a inlet manifold hole machined into them. so make sure your new heads have the hole if your old heads have them, the heads otherwise are identical

Attachments

• kDU0EJ7.jpg
    kDU0EJ7.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 95

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My heads are off early VR so yes need to check for that hole, thanks mate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
it's fairly easy to do i hadn't even touched a v6 when i replaced the heads on my vp calais if you take your time .
the biggest problem is making sure you have the correct heads as i was sold a set of reconditioned heads but they were the wrong ones and had to have a inlet manifold hole machined into them. so make sure your new heads have the hole if your old heads have them, the heads otherwise are identical
Does that mean the manifold is slightly different too? I'm using a early VR manifold.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does that mean the manifold is slightly different too? I'm using a early VR manifold.
It is different, I just looked. What could be interesting is if only one head has that hole. A few people told me the heads are not side specific but they may well be.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
If i remember correctly but don't hold me to this i think both heads have the hole, i seem to remember having to wait for the engine shop to machine a hole in each head
each head will only go on one side as that hole is always at the back of the motor the firewall "end"
the only difference in the manifold is those holes as well

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I thought only the early VN's had a different PCV system and hence no hole in the head? From late VN all the way to VR I believe they all use the same intake gasket?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Do you have the manifold from the engine these heads came off?

If you do, clean up that manifold, using that as a template for purchasing inlet manifold gaskets and have it on hand when the head swap time comes about....Will save a lot of swearing and cursing :)

Look at all your hoses for signs of age.....If they look suspicious, buy new ones before disassembling engine.....

Triple check you have all the required tools, ie spanners, sockets, ratchets, screw drivers, torque wrench, fuel line removal tool, scrapers, rags, sealants, and necessary gaskets/hoses, before disassembling engine.....Again, saves swearing and cursing.

I recently saw on youtube, how to clean out head bolt holes, using an old headbolt.

They cut 2 grooves in an old headbolt, (either side of the bolt) with an angle grinder.....They then proceeded to run that bolt down the hole and you could see all the crap come out of the bolt hole....So something you could possibly try.....(Haven't tried it myself, but it does look effective)

Yes, these things I have written sound like silly things, but as people know, it's these sorts of things that generally make a simple job turn to crap in a heartbeat...

Last edited:

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I thought only the early VN's had a different PCV system and hence no hole in the head? From late VN all the way to VR I believe they all use the same intake gasket?
That is correct but it would seem that early vn heads are more common, i could not get a set of vp heads anywhere not even the engine reco mob could that is why i ended up with a set of early vn heads with that hole machined into them on my vp hence my cautionary note to losh1971.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@vc commodore any advice is good advice for me. I have put too much coin into this old ute, so I need to ensure everything is done just right, no short cuts,

Reactions: Lex