Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing idler pulleys and fan belt??

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodoer VS Executive II V6 3.8L
well the plastic one is ribbed to fit the under side of the belt wich is exactly the same as the idler (in my car) thats inbetween the bottom idler and the tensioner (in your diagram) when i look under the bonnet...if that made sense..so im guessing that its the one in the middle! well its the same so it would have to be...so yeah now i just wanna know about actually going thru with replacing it myself..can you give me tips...???

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
****in lol... So, incase I've forgotten what that sounds like, can you describe it to me...?

pretty ****ing squeaky!!!

With out looking, and at a guess, I'd say the plastic one has grooves on it - to run on the inside of the belt, making it the 'top idler' pulley. The other idler would be smooth metal - to run on the back of the belt, making it the lower idler pulley.
With the sizes of the two metal ones, just match them up to the original ones on the motor already :thumbsup:

yes your exactly right but the way its set up in my car now is that the idler with grooves in it is in the middle?? has this been done wrong!?!?! lol could it be the reason why my car sounds like estranged animals fornicating

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The tensioner pulley and the bottom idler pulley should have flat pulleys.The "middle" idler pulley should have grooves.

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes i just followed the diagram and thats correct...the way it is in the car already......still unanswered...is it a hard job...do i have to pay attention to anything??? cheers for allyour help!!!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
yes your exactly right but the way its set up in my car now is that the idler with grooves in it is in the middle?? has this been done wrong!?!?! lol could it be the reason why my car sounds like estranged animals fornicating

'Top idler' in Brett jjj's pic, so the one directly to the right of the water pump pulley looking at the motor.

The 'top' pulley, under the alternator is the tensioner pulley - smooth metal one, then working clockwise around the motor, top idler pulley - black plastic grooved one, then below that one another smooth metal one.

The tensioner pulley and the bottom idler pulley should have flat pulleys.The "middle" idler pulley should have grooves.

^^ What he said :p

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
yes i just followed the diagram and thats correct...the way it is in the car already......still unanswered...is it a hard job...do i have to pay attention to anything??? cheers for allyour help!!!

Don't think there's a trick to them?
Only ever pulled one of them off to get at a water pump once... Just undid it, then put loctite on the bolt when I put it back in :)
(might be a reverse thread though? don't think so though :p)

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
ive herd about there being a reverse thread is this on all of the bolts??? im guessing i should put the fan belt on before i bolt the last pulley in order to have it strapped around tightly? and loctite..is this some sorta glue?

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
If i remember correctly the tensioner pully is a reverse thread, all the rest are normal, easy job just make sure you put the belt back on the correct way, follow bretts pic if you cant remember, good luck

strikewon

Reaction score
Members Ride
cool so just the tensioner...should i do this one first??? theres something about it moving so i can remove the belt im just a bit confused about that aswell as reattaching the bolt with the reverse thread someone wrote that you turn it anti clockwise to loosen the belt and then clockwise to remove the actual pulley??? how does this reattach?? just trying to get as much info as possible before tomorrow when i make my attempt!!! lol

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
wont really matter what one you do first, i thought it was clockwise to loosen the belt and anti-clockwise to undo the bolt but may be wrong its been a while since i owned a vs, the tensioner is spring loaded incase you didn't know, its not hard job just suss it out you'll be fine, loctite is a type of glue so might pay to get sum from autobarn or repco or somewhere before you start, you just put a little bit on the thread of the bolt before you put it back in and do it up