Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing rear axle/Drive shafts on a VT IRS..............

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Hey guys,

Has anyone experienced changing rear axles on an IRS commodore?
I turned into my sriveway tonight, and clunk bang, and some binding up in the rear took place, i jacked her up, and sure enough the left hand inner axle CV has given way......

Are these hard to replace? should I leave it to the Pro's?
Anyone know of anywhere around Dandy that has them in stock, and could possibly change them for me tomorrow??

This car is self destructing before my eyes, and I havn't hit boost once this week :-(

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers, Chrisso :)

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
i had to change mine after giving a curb a nice love tap, all i can say is have fun with the allen keys but other then that, it was simple as, jack the rear rather then ramps, so then you can turn the axles to get the all the bolts, im by far no pro but took me roughly half hour - hour for 1 axel

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet man cheers......

Now to find a pair of nice new shafts :)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sweet man cheers......

Now to find a pair of nice new shafts :)
Try A&F Driveshafts, they'll do them for ALOT cheaper than Holden. I was quoted $300ish each from Holden, i got the pair for about $190 from A&F. But any driveshaft company should be able to do aftermarket, changeover units for about the same amount, if not less.

You can buy allen key sockets from Repco, which will make the leverege on the bolts alot easier.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Try A&F Driveshafts, they'll do them for ALOT cheaper than Holden. I was quoted $300ish each from Holden, i got the pair for about $190 from A&F. But any driveshaft company should be able to do aftermarket, changeover units for about the same amount, if not less.

You can buy allen key sockets from Repco, which will make the leverege on the bolts alot easier.

Awesome mate,

Thanx 4 the info :)
I have a pretty extensive tool kit, so sockets are no drama,
It's just time, I will drive the car to work in the morning, but the inner CV is screwed, Boot is off it, and there is metallic grease going everywhere, I will just baby it, was hoping to drop it off somewhere near work for a pair of new ones......
Found some on E-bay 4 $120 each......

I'll check A&F out,

Thanx again.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
lol i had crappy normal allen keys and a pipe over end, bush mechanic style lol

Haha, i've done that before. But i was expecting it to be absolutely impossible to budge, so the sockets were the go. In hindsight, buying stepper sockets would have been been helpful, to put on a half inch breaker bar because i was just levering on the thing with a 3/8 ratchet so the length was the same as a bar and allenkey.

sik ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
i have to change my r/h driveshaft as the boot has gone and it was easier to get a new one than get the boot when i change will any oil come out of the diff?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I do it bush mechanic style too, like lufkin. I broke one with the pipe over allen key technique, sawed it off and put it in the battery drill, so now once i have lossened them, i can get the allen key bolts out faster and then put them back on faster and I only need to torqe them back up with my non-broken allen key.
Each time I have done this job i do think, yes, Allen key sockets would make this easier.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
no oil will come out of the diff