Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Rear Springs (IRS)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
soulyouth said:
Yeh I know I read that Step but I skipped it as I was only moving the diff down a couple of inches they say that those steps are for removing the whole diff, I did this more then one and it didn't affect the diff at all or the way the car handled, it was just on it ass that all, when you drove it, the ass would get even lower as the shocks were standard so when sitting still it look only a lil lower

I dont know what manual your reading... but it doesn't say such a thing at all in the Gregory's manual...oh well I needed some typing practice so here goes...basically it says in words to this effect

Coil Springs

Removal and installing

(1) Raise the back of the car and support it on stands under the car's rear jacking points.
(2) Take off the back wheels.
(3) Undo the drive shaft axle outer end from the rear hub flange as previously described. Use wire or a cord, and tie up the drive shaft axle from the shock absorber upper mounting.

IMPORTANT: The drive shaft axle MUST remain as straight as possible at all times to prevent damaging the drive shaft axle's RUBBER BOOT and JOINT.

(4) Undo the stabiliser linkages from the suspension arm.
(5) Raise the suspension arm with a trolley jack, then undo and remove the lower shock absorber mounting bolt.
(6) Lower jack and push the suspension arm down to remove the coil spring and insulators from the vehicle.

IMPORTANT: Whilst pushing down on the suspension arm ensure you dont stretch and damage the brake hose.

(7) Check the spring blah blah blah (doesn't matter when swapping springs)
(8) Insallation is reverse of the above proceedure

Last edited:

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
Yeh the Gregory's are **** man get yourself a Ellery's one

enviousent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
i got mine lowered professionally, but got canaried for height not too long ago, all i did was got a sprig clamp, tightened it, took the spring out, clamped the standard spring, fit it in, and i was on the rd...

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
Not 100% but I think those clamps are illegal

goldencommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Commodore
hey i just bought some low kings for my vt. it will cost me me $ 160 to have them pro installed, and $360 for a 2 point chamber kit. The guy goes why do u want a chamber kit, i'm like, the tyres will wear out on such a chamber there wearing out on the standard setup. Stupid dick he was. so im thinking about just fitting the springs myself and just getting a alinement and chamber kit fitted later when i put my new sway bars on to. Reading the rear instalation it looks really easy. but how hard is it for the fronts, would i need a spring clamp? I'd only need it so when i undo the plate on top the spring doesnt fly out right but i dont need to compress the low spring do i?, thanks..

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
Not 100% but I think those clamps are illegal

pretty sure he just clamped it to get the spring out rather than having to undo all the bolts ;)

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
another thing is to take hand brake off with vt-vz

vrcalais5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais 5ltr
using spring clamps to lower a car is idiotic and illegal. i got my car lowered with lovells super lows cost me 300 for all. going to get a four point camber kit put in when i find somewhere that will actually do it.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
using spring clamps to lower a car is idiotic and illegal. i got my car lowered with lovells super lows cost me 300 for all. going to get a four point camber kit put in when i find somewhere that will actually do it.

spring clamps are only used to fit or remove, they arent for use in the car whilst driving. Therefore how can they be illegal???