Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repurpose Phone button

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Hey all. After having just fit a Paddle shift kit to my '10 International, ive got the itch to work on the old girl again.

One thing that has always bugged me is the Phone button on the steering wheel controls. I have actually removed the BT module thats above the glove box as i have BT on my Head Unit (Sony xav-ax1000). But now that leaves me with a useless button on the wheel. Right now it still pops up phone on the dash but does nothing.

I was wondering if there is a way to have it work with the rest of the stereo controls (vol, skip, audio and mute buttons)? Can it be rewired to work this way? If i understand the functions correctly, they are resistance based and run single wire to the head unit.

Sorry if this has been covered but looking thru google/search, nothing specific to my question came up.

Cheers

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey all. After having just fit a Paddle shift kit to my '10 International, ive got the itch to work on the old girl again.

One thing that has always bugged me is the Phone button on the steering wheel controls. I have actually removed the BT module thats above the glove box as i have BT on my Head Unit (Sony xav-ax1000). But now that leaves me with a useless button on the wheel. Right now it still pops up phone on the dash but does nothing.

I was wondering if there is a way to have it work with the rest of the stereo controls (vol, skip, audio and mute buttons)? Can it be rewired to work this way? If i understand the functions correctly, they are resistance based and run single wire to the head unit.

Sorry if this has been covered but looking thru google/search, nothing specific to my question came up.

Cheers
My guess would be depends on the head unit.

I have a vt with aftermarket h/u.
The steering wheel is vf.
There is 3 wires for the swc to the h/u.
I have mute, navigation, home (desktop), forward, back, volume up down.

Check out a wiring diagram for the ve. I think you could probably program the buttons for whatever you want.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Cheers
You'll probably need to know how the CAN system works.

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Forgot about this.
Probably my comment above wont work?
Not sure, but he is using an aftermarket HU.
All the VE steering wheel controls go through CANbus.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure, but he is using an aftermarket HU.
All the VE steering wheel controls go through CANbus.
Ahh that suck. Means bcm or ecu reprogramming doesnt it?

Edit: never mind. So it seems my hu does see and respond to the phone button in carplay mode. Only just worked this out after purchasing the quadlock wireless carplay adapter. Only usually use wired carplay for long trips/nav via waze

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
quick follow up, for those who have the aerpro Fp9350 (bk or gk), and dont know this, once the car has booted fully, the steering wheel controls can be used to control the Climate control. You simply press in the left wheel and it activates. after 5 seconds of no input they revert to radio/HU. Im only posting this because ive had the fascia kit installed for over a year now and have only just figured this one out lol

• Haha
Reactions: Lex