Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Respraying Fuel Door On VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
Hi all, so I recently got a new fuel door for my Quicksilver VX S off of a wrecked VX as my old one broke due to age and I am going to be respraying it as I am very fussy with the car. I am not experienced in respraying car parts and was wondering if I could get some useful advice in relation to the following:

- Best way to remove old paint?
- How many coats of primer, paint and clear coat would I need to do?

I have already ordered some primer, paint and clear coat spray too. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240304_130704.jpg
    20240304_130704.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 30

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
as my old one broke due to age
My fuel door flap broke too, last year. Maybe April?

Plastic welded it back on. First few times l filled with fuel, l broke it off again.
Last time l welded it back on, l tried for more penetration without ruining the paint on the out side.

That was June last year. Survived a few trips to Melbourne & a trip to NSW & back.
Hopefully its there to stay?

You couldn't track down another one, the same colour in good condition?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
My fuel door flap broke too, last year. Maybe April?

Plastic welded it back on. First few times l filled with fuel, l broke it off again.
Last time l welded it back on, l tried for more penetration without ruining the paint on the out side.

That was June last year. Survived a few trips to Melbourne & a trip to NSW & back.
Hopefully its there to stay?

You couldn't track down another one, the same colour in good condition?
Thanks for the reply. The fuel door pictured is my new one, though it does have paint defects hence why I am going to repaint it.

My old one could not be repaired either, I broke it off years ago and repaired it and it lasted ages until the clip that holds it in place broke off.

The new one pictured works really good I am just fussy and want the paint to be as defect free as the rest of the car.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks for the reply. The fuel door pictured is my new one, though it does have paint defects hence why I am going to repaint it.

My old one could not be repaired either, I broke it off years ago and repaired it and it lasted ages until the clip that holds it in place broke off.

The new one pictured works really good I am just fussy and want the paint to be as defect free as the rest of the car.
Since you are going to paint it anyway, why not try wet sanding it back, to try & cut the bad paint out?
If you cut through, well you going to paint anyway.
If the crap cut out ok, then would save the repaint.
The colour appears to match ok? If you paint it, it probably wont match perfectly?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
Yeah I don't mind about it not matching perfectly, as my new one is sourced it is not matching paint anyway. Yeah I was wondering if I wet sand it back and remove all of the old paint or use paint stripper or something.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Dude you just need to sand it back with some 320 until you hit the colour, then you don't even need a fill primer just a finish primer.

When smash shops do the initial before prep they will blend in the sanding and you see all the layers, this is because you don't have to sand deep to get the other paint to stick.

If you get runs you just nib them out with a razor blade then sand with 1500 and polish.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
Dude you just need to sand it back with some 320 until you hit the colour, then you don't even need a fill primer just a finish primer.

When smash shops do the initial before prep they will blend in the sanding and you see all the layers, this is because you don't have to sand deep to get the other paint to stick.

If you get runs you just nib them out with a razor blade then sand with 1500 and polish.
Thanks for advice, I have already taken it off and I have sanded all of the silver paint off and given it a good clean. It is now a yellow like colour.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
For $50 to be done at a paint shop i wouldn't bother. Time you add up the paint, thinners, sandpaper, primer... it will total more than $50.
Yeah you are probably right, I actually got some decent paint for a good price. I honestly just wanted to have a go myself just for fun and a learning experience as I've done a lot to my car myself just not much painting.

Reactions: Lex

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt

Something may be worth checking out. Found a guy who 3D print manufactures the hinge for the fuel flap. Supplies it with glue and instructions. In Sydney from memory.