Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Restoring a VH SLE advice..?

saladine1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 5.7
I'm thinking of restoring a VH Commodore and was wondering if anyone else has done this or if anyone has some info or advice on an undertaking such as this.

Stuff like diagrams, original engine bay pics, where to buy parts, what to look out for..etc, things of that nature.

My intention is to restore to close to factory as possible, so i'll want to use original exhaust manifolds, exhaust systems, suspension, original engine bay components like decals,stickers,air cleaners....you get the idea..

Any help would be appreciated..

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Take a look at the Rare Spares website for stuff like stickers etc.

Can you take pics of the engine bay or do you think its been modified from original?

Diagrams of what? Wiring? Google VH Commodore then click images and you will get plenty of diagrams, you may need to add other keywords such as wiring to the search parameter.

Rebuilding to as close to factory as possible is certainly do-able. Use your original parts, clean then up, if need be give them a sandback and a new coat of paint, new rubbers for suspension (don't use Urethane etc of you are after "factory" look and feel) new studs in things like exhaust (get someone with an oxy set to help with removing old worn out or broken studs). For teh rest of the exhaust system I seriously doubt you will get "original". A guy I know is an exhaust supplier for northern NSW look up Stallion Exhaust or Stallion Wholesale.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Problem now is alot of odd parts are very hard to get esp genuine, any genuine parts go for big money now then other parts can go really cheap.
Chrome headlight mould go really cheap but headlights,lenses, reflectors etc will do for really big money, The yellow indicators go cheap.

I think you can pretty much thank VK owners for this :)

As for exhaust you would find that the oem exhaust was supplied by someone say like walker (I dont know who it was though)etc, Good interior bits are probably the hardest to find, then chrome mouldings for the body.

best of luck...

Scott

best of luck

saladine1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 5.7
Thanks fellas, appreciate the advice and info.
Going to be interesting..

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Well done mate for going original, not many of us left! Exhaust manifolds are almost always available on ebay and sometimes full systems also, although the manifolds are the only thing on mine that aren't original - just way too restrictive. Patience is the name of the game to find OEM / NOS parts but you'd be surprised what comes up - as vkberlina said just be prepared to shell out some $$.

Good luck and all the best.