Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resurrecting a VS

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
G’day Everyone, Olddog here. I’m new around here having just registered this morning. I have a VS commodore I’m just starting a rebuild on. A little background on the car, it’s a 97 VS executive, V8, 5 speed, live axle rear, d/s air bag so just a bread and butter car. I bought it originally from a car yard in Inverell in 99, it had about 5000 kms on it and the sales dude said it already had a harrop crank fitted, plus the obvious cat back 3 inch exhaust. The thing absolutely flew, so I guess it does have some mods. Several years later I sold it on to a young bloke who flogged it mercilessly, eventually he managed to **** off his g/f who stole the car, crashed it into a barbed wire fence, got it bogged so she ran up the bonnet and jumped on the roof until it was stoved in (lesson in that for all of us about a woman scorned). I picked it up for cheap a few months ago, the car still flies but it’s sick, compression on 2 cylinders is way down, shuddering clutch and a whining gearbox, but the most serious problem, the frame is seriously bent. I assume the roof is part of the structure, that or they jumped it or something. Anyway, it’s taken a licken’ and it’s still ticken’! Damn tough car, so I reckon it deserves a break (bad pun, sorry)
I’ve picked up a VR V6 auto, non-airbag shell which I’ll use to rebuild the car, but obviously I have a few questions. Any help would be most appreciated-

Is the wiring harness the same between VR and VS?
Same between V8 and V6?
Same between airbag and non-airbag?
I’m assuming I’ll have to fit my V8 computer and VS body module?
Do I (legally) have to fit the airbag or can I get away with leaving it out?
Are the V6 and V8 live axle rear ends the same?

If you can see any problems I may have, or if I’ve just plain got something wrong here feel free to mention it!

Thanks in advance

OD

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
Is the wiring harness the same between VR and VS? No its slightly different but can be modified
Same between V8 and V6? Nope
Same between airbag and non-airbag? Nope
I’m assuming I’ll have to fit my V8 computer and VS body module? Yes you will have to
Do I (legally) have to fit the airbag or can I get away with leaving it out? If the car didnt come with one then no you dont
Are the V6 and V8 live axle rear ends the same? Im pretty sure they differ slightly but i cant be sure

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
might be easier to rebuild the engine and trans then put it into the VR...

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
the body loom is the same on v6 and v8, its the engine loom thats different

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
Listen to CHEETR, He knows more than me

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Ah, okay Beast. Thanks for the replies everyone.
So it sounds like the wiring should be a simple -unplug old v6 - plug in the new v8, nice and easy the way i like it.
I think investing in a gregory's or something will be the best idea for this build, that should identify the differences in the diffs. It's only a temporary thing as i'd like to throw in a 9 inch at some stage.
Thanks
OD