Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse Camera Black Screen - does PRK SW need connecting JVC 2DIN

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by ausleo, Mar 22, 2020.

1. ausleo

ausleo Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS Sedan
    I have a JVC KW-M750BT it is installed and most of it is working fine. The reverse camera wire is connected into my reverse light wiring and when I put car into reverse it activates the camera BUT the screen is black. There is the parking sensor wire that I have not connected yet and did read that it needs to be connected for any video display to work.

How am I going to reverse with the park brake on, is this how this wire connection works or does the Head Unit just want to know it has been connected.

I read another thread people suggest just earth out the wire, I haven't tried this yet. It seems a bit strange to need a park brake connected just to view reverse camera!
    Manual: http://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/B5A-2850-00.pdf - see page 89 for the PRK SW
    Unit: http://au.jvc.com/car/av_receivers/kw_m750bt/
    All this is into a VT Commodore. I have searched for a diagram showing this type of installation but no luck, old images not available etc.

Any help ;)

Edit: I found this video it looks like it might be the answer.
    Still if you have done this or know it is all that is needed please comment.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    The video only works when the hand brake is on (you are not suppose to drive when the video is on. To much of a distraction).

This doesn't apply to the reverse camera. Have you ran a video cable from the camera back to the h/u?

3. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Yellow is reverse video in, Purple / white to reverse lights on car, light green to parking sensor which will disable any video until handbrake is on.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  4. ausleo

ausleo Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS Sedan
    all I have left to connect is that green wire, I havent pulled console apart to locate hand brake switch is it possible to just ground that wire. I dont have DVD in this model so wont be driving watching video, just reversing watching display so I dont run coronavirus people over

5. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    I don't have a dvd player either.
    I just ground mine & video plays on mine when the car is mobile.

6. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Yes just put it to ground, but don't play videos while driving or face a big fine and 3 demerit points. I have mine to ground but I don't watch movies.

ausleo likes this.
  7. ausleo

ausleo Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS Sedan
    fixed it didnt need the PRK-SW to ground.. I forgot to plug in red and black wire i.e. camera had no power haha all good now

8. ausleo

ausleo Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS Sedan
    I dont even klnow if my H/U plays DVD's it has a video out and can plug in gaming console etc but I just got it for GPS via iPhone and Spotify via Apple Play

9. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Good one, you might find without the earth your phone apps may not work as to stop the driver from using some apps while driving.

10. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
  11. ausleo

ausleo Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS Sedan
    I did ground the light green wire but found it worked with it not grounded either.
    It's a bit of a strange head unit, when I have waze going if I turn my headlights on waze dims the map screen like it's night mode, this even in daytime. I don't know how it knows I have turned my lights on.

Phone app works good,
    Reverse camera works it's going to take a bit of getting used to I am still using my mirrors and just looking at the screen just for something to do to get my moneys worth. It will be good reversing up to my trailer as I can see the tow ball in the image so that is when it's going to be a bonus and also for avoiding objects but I haven't driven it enough to do all that yet.

Funny that, the first thing I did was peel that clear lens protective cover off haha it was not going to fix it.. I had been working on the car too long that day installing speakers, wiring for the amp etc and pulled my seats out and taped al the wire up that runs to the back of the car

Lex likes this.