Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Riveting on front number plate?

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
I was thinking about trying to make it a bit harder for the number plate thieves by putting a couple of rivets through the front number plate.

Can someone tell me if that is possible using the 2 holes indicated in the attached photo?

What's behind the bumper?

Will a rivet even pull up and hold onto the back of the plastic bumper or is this a dumb idea?

Attachments

• DSCN2287a.jpg
    DSCN2287a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 833

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
doesnt matter how strong you make it, it's still possible to take, it's just a matter of how much damage you want to your bar. what will you do to the rear? as you said you are doing front only?

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why don't you just use non reversible screws?

If you ever want to take the plate off isn't there a drama with that?

The rivets can just be drilled out, but I suppose reversible screws can too...............hmmmm.
It's just that I already had the rivets and couldn't be bothered going near the madhouse that is the shops again at this time of the year.

doesnt matter how strong you make it, it's still possible to take, it's just a matter of how much damage you want to your bar. what will you do to the rear? as you said you are doing front only?

I realise the plate can always be taken if someone really wants to, but if they have the choice between having to go to some trouble versus just whipping out a couple of screws, hopefully they take the easy option and move onto the next car.

I've already put a couple of rivets in the bottom of the rear plate. Drilled a couple of holes in the boot directly behind where the bottom corner number plate holes were.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Hey,

As vicarious said any number plate can be taken just how much damage in the process. Think about it this way, if someones going to steal it... there going to steal it. If they steal it by unscrewing 4 screws then there is no damage to your car, however if they are going to steal it by undoing 4 screws and ripping it off to break the riverts damaging your body to steal it.. how would you of preferred it went?

dale762308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V Series LPG
Go down to the local cop shop and see if they have some non-reversible screws, did my through the local Neighbourhood Watch one day at a supermarket, police ended up doing it for me.

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Go down to the local cop shop and see if they have some non-reversible screws, did my through the local Neighbourhood Watch one day at a supermarket, police ended up doing it for me.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll chase these screws up.

It's no wonder so many number plates get stolen, with most people just leaving the standard screws in and not providing any deterrent.

PTRSEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SIDI SV6 UTE
If you ever want to take the plate off isn't there a drama with that?

The rivets can just be drilled out, but I suppose reversible screws can too...............hmmmm.
It's just that I already had the rivets and couldn't be bothered going near the madhouse that is the shops again at this time of the year.

I realise the plate can always be taken if someone really wants to, but if they have the choice between having to go to some trouble versus just whipping out a couple of screws, hopefully they take the easy option and move onto the next car.

I've already put a couple of rivets in the bottom of the rear plate. Drilled a couple of holes in the boot directly behind where the bottom corner number plate holes were.

yeah i had to take the non reversables out of my old ute and they were a massive pain in the arse. had to drill them out with a smill drill bit then gradually work my way up in size till they popped off, took about and hour to get both plates off

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
go to the cop shop they all have non reversable screws they will even replace them for you thus giving you the satisfaction of the man working for you... it doesnt matter if its a bitch to take them off because you shouldnt have to take your number plate off