Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road Weathy Certificate Repair Help Much Needed

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm working to get my 2001 VX (260,000) roadworthy as we speak. Mine was worse than yours - showed it to a mate and he said they were VERY picky and most stuff is common of a car this age.

- Rear flex joint
- Centre bearing
- Engine mounts
- Bonnet release
- Wiper washer system
- Lower control arm inner bushes
- Lower control arm outer bushes
- Radius rod front bushes
- Radius rod rear bushes

I managed to fix all of that over a weekend or so, except the engine mounts (yet to attempt) and lower control arm inner bushes - I've removed the control arm from the car today and am up to removing the old bushes. It's a Sunday so no mechanic with a press is open, so I might have to call it a day.

I also had coolant and oil leaks noted but he put (A) which I guess means attention needed.

Don't need a press for the inner radius rod bushes in the control arm.....Cut the old ones out, replace with new 2 piece bushes and all done. Take you an hour from start to finish....That is, with removing control arm to refitting it with new bushes.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Realistically, that's not being picky. That's all stuff you'd want to replace anyway, it'll make the car much nicer to drive and handle a bit better too

davs

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Don't need a press for the inner radius rod bushes in the control arm.....Cut the old ones out, replace with new 2 piece bushes and all done. Take you an hour from start to finish....That is, with removing control arm to refitting it with new bushes.

Yeah I just had Pedders bang them out for $20 both sides. Took them about 5 minutes.

It's all reassembled with Nolathane bushes now. Gave the brakes a regrease too.

Will be booking in a wheel alignment as it pulls to the left now but not too bad.

Engine mounts next!

BTW, for the above work I was quoted $2500+ and told to wreck the car as it's not worth it. I think all parts came up to about $300.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Can a mod please change the title to road worthy... Please!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah I just had Pedders bang them out for $20 both sides. Took them about 5 minutes.

It's all reassembled with Nolathane bushes now. Gave the brakes a regrease too.

Will be booking in a wheel alignment as it pulls to the left now but not too bad.

Engine mounts next!

BTW, for the above work I was quoted $2500+ and told to wreck the car as it's not worth it. I think all parts came up to about $300.

If it has a left pull, be prepared to shell out for adjustable caster bushes.....They fit in the front of the K-frame, where the radius rod goes through....They might not be necessary, but something to budget for just in case

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
What the hell is a "Weathy".

That's all I have to say.

davs

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
If it has a left pull, be prepared to shell out for adjustable caster bushes.....They fit in the front of the K-frame, where the radius rod goes through....They might not be necessary, but something to budget for just in case

I've got those - I just set the configuration to "standard" instead of -1/4 or whatever, both equal for each side. I can fix that up easily enough.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've got those - I just set the configuration to "standard" instead of -1/4 or whatever, both equal for each side. I can fix that up easily enough.

You need a minimum of 1/4 degree more on the left, when compared to the right, to counteract the slope of the road surface. If you don't wish to play round with these, when an alignment is done, they should do it for you, as part of a standard alignment. After all, it takes all of 5 minutes to re-adjust these, as you'd be aware