Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

roadworthy requirements in the act

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
canb_vn06 said:
yea i cant find any requirements on my rta site?? maybe i just dont know where to look

RTA don't appear to have the roadworthiness requirements on their site. they have vehicle standards which include VSI 06 - Guidelines for light vehicle modifications (Apr 2005).

to me it's disgraceful that RTA don't publish roadworthiness requirements - how are you supposed to keep your car in roadworthy condition if you don't know what the requirments are??!

if you want a list then i'd recommend checking VicRoads, the roadworthiness requirements are likely to be almost the same from Vic to NSW.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
even if your 20s are the right rolling diameter, i bet the tyres are too low a rating for your car, which they might get you on

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
in QLD there are 2 different types of Roadworthy, one that you get your mechanic to do..... other is the shonky one that secondhand car yaeds get done..... you can travel under 10 klms to the government inspector and they wont do jack-**** about shonky inspections.......

dyls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 turbo
anyone know the height requirements to get a road worthy in qld? and like i got shortened shocks n ultralow springs does that matter?it sits prety low !

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
to me it's disgraceful that RTA don't publish roadworthiness requirements - how are you supposed to keep your car in roadworthy condition if you don't know what the requirments are??!

Its fairly simple, keep it as it came from the factory with everything that could be related to the safe operation of the car working as it should, including emissions. I gather your concern is with modifications that you have made?

Vicroads includes this guideline on their website:http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/E5F44416-57E4-4164-98F5-69E3E8E1C5E3/0/VSI26.pdf
Actually, it pays to be familiar with it: I had a rwc inspection done on one of my vehicles and it was failed for engine oil leaks? Knowing that the car currently wasnt dropping oil I asked did it fail the white paper under the engine test? the reply, "the engine has oil stains all over it, obviously its leaking oil"
the reg is quite clear:
Dampness, weaping or staining is acceptable as long as the vehicle doesnt drop oil on to the road surface when parked or idling........

Last edited:

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Just check your last pink slip.

Mine says:
  • Vehicle identification
  • Brakes (they attach a test print out)
  • Steering and suspension
  • Wheels and tyres
  • Body condition
  • Seats and seat belts
  • Lights and headlight aim
  • Engine/driveline
  • Exhaust system
  • Towing attachment
  • LPG system
  • Number plates (obscured/faded/unauthorised)
  • No dangerous protusions

And they just mark pass/fail/not applicable next to each.

Edit:
Oh and massive dig by the way!

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
Its fairly simple, keep it as it came from the factory with everything that could be related to the safe operation of the car working as it should, including emissions.

that's what the roadworthiness guidelines are supposed to cover. what constitutes 'safe operation of the car' is subjective and needs to be clarified. an underpinning principle of legislation is that it must be available to those who are subject to it.

I gather your concern is with modifications that you have made?

you gather incorrectly :)

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
that's what the roadworthiness guidelines are supposed to cover. what constitutes 'safe operation of the car' is subjective and needs to be clarified. an underpinning principle of legislation is that it must be available to those who are subject to it.:)

Did you look at :http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/E5F44416-57E4-4164-98F5-69E3E8E1C5E3/0/VSI26.pdf, regardless of what state you're in, Im sure what is laid out there would be 95% relevant to all states.

While it does then refer to meeting adrs and standards it does actually quote the number of the standard for you to look up.
Things like thickness of disk rotors are really only accessible through manufacturers manuals, unless the rwc testers have a special book for this(perhaps they do).

It doesnt appear to be subjective at all, though what constitutes a defectable frey on a seatbelt possibly would be.

In summary, there appears to be a wealth of info available on what your car would be tested for, otherwise just leave it to a mechanic to do it for you.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
all states have a manual that is used to conduct RWC tests - specifying basics like how to conduct a brake test, what size crack in the windscreen is acceptable, etc.

it should be available to the public, in all states, so they can try and keep their car in RWC condition, as well as pass the test. it's pretty simple.

RWC testers generally wouldn't do detail stuff like rotor thickness. generally if it brakes OK it will pass. your example of oil leaks is a good one - it should be clear what the req't is, to everyone.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
RWC testers generally wouldn't do detail stuff like rotor thickness. generally if it brakes OK it will pass. .

they are obliged to inspect the brakes and look for potential problems, not just test that it pulls up in the specified distance. they certainly tested the disc thickness on my 30 year old car.