Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rob Guest Dies of stroke

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I know I am posting this quite late, but anyhow...

THEATRE star Rob Guest has died in hospital overnight after suffering a large stroke. He was surrounded by family and friends.

Guest, who had been starring as the Wizard of Oz in hit musical Wicked, was rushed to hospital on Tuesday night with bleeding on the brain.

He died peacefully in hospital last night after his life support machine was turned off.

Early this morning, a hospital spokesperson said: "The family want the public to know he was surrounded by family and friends when he died''.

The former Phantom of the Opera star and host of 90s TV show Man O Man had been in a critical condition on life support.

Before the tragic incident, the English-born actor, 57, was relaxing at home with partner Kellie Dickerson when he started feeling unwell and collapsed at his computer.

Ms Dickerson, a musical director, was joined by Guest's mother and Wicked producer John Frost at the bedside of the former Phantom of the Opera

Guest's children Christopher, 19, and Amy, 17, flew from Sydney yesterday with their mother Judy Barnes to be with him.

As Guest was fighting for life earlier yesterday, the family released a statement saying he was critically ill.

Mr Frost, a long-time friend, said the family was distraught at news of the stroke.

"It's that thing of not wanting to believe what's happening. We went in and held his hand and told him how much we loved him, and to be strong,'' he said.

Mr Frost said many in the cast of Wicked cried when he broke the news.

"I addressed the cast and I never have seen a cast fall apart like that in 35 years.

"(Guest) was such a father figure to the cast. He led the cast on this show. There's a lot of upset young people. The youngest cast member is 18 so they may not have had something like this happen before.''

Guest last played theWizard on Sunday night.

There are no performances on Monday and Tuesday.

His place was taken last night by understudy Rodney Dobson, who had been playing the part of Doctor Dillamond.

Theatregoers were saddened when told he was ill.

"He'll be here in spirit,'' said Sacha George, from Tasmania.

"I bought tickets just to see him. I saw him in Phantom and he was just great.''

Hugh O'Brien, of Cairns, said he felt dearly for the cast, who had to carry on.

"I'm very disappointed he won't be here tonight because he's a fabulous performer. I listen to him in my car on the way to work.

"He's just the iconic Australian performer, so we wish him all the best.''

Pennie Briese, who travelled with her husband from Canberra to see the show, said she had been a fan since seeing Guest in Phantom.

"We've been travelling all day, so I had no idea. What horrible news,'' she said.

"He was the attraction for us to come tonight.''

Mr Frost said Guest did not have any known health problems and was not a heavy drinker or smoker.

"It's like you and I talking now and then `bang', in half an hour something happens.''

He said Guest was "doing what he loved to do'' in his role as the Wizard.

He played the Phantom in a record 2289 performances.

More recently he played Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music. He also starred in productions of Les Miserables and hosted the short-lived '90s TV game show Man O Man.

More recently he was Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music. He also starred in productions of Les Miserables.

Production Company founder Jeanne Pratt described him as "the musicals man".

Sad to see a theatre legend die, I know many people on JC won't have a clue who he was, but he performed in Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables just to name a few. He played every part so well and I am glad I was lucky enough to see him as the Phantom in Les Miserable and recently in Wicked. A great performer who will be missed, I am certain of that.

1x1.gif

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
People die every day. Hope you don't plan on making a thread for every single one of them. Will be a pretty morbid place I would say.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
People die every day,its sad but we need to move forward.
Not my cup of tea but i knew who he was.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Snap:thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
shwwwweeeeeeet. no idea who he is.

So don't post then? :)

People die every day. Hope you don't plan on making a thread for every single one of them. Will be a pretty morbid place I would say.

Your right they do die everyday, yet a thread about it does not hurt anyone(although I could be like some people and be seriously deranged and post about peter brock every year). Fact is, to some people this guy was brilliant, nothing was better than seeing this guy perform.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
So don't post then? :)

Your right they do die everyday, yet a thread about it does not hurt anyone(although I could be like some people and be seriously deranged and post about peter brock every year). Fact is, to some people this guy was brilliant, nothing was better than seeing this guy perform.

Peter Brock, Rob Guest. No difference really. They do what they do out of self interest so why put them on a pedestal?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Peter Brock, Rob Guest. No difference really. They do what they do out of self interest so why put them on a pedestal?

I do not put any on a pedestal, I simply made a thread in a forum. If people wish to read it so be it, i respected the man and wanted to make a thread about it, its the first and last you will see about this matter.