Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rocker Cover Gasket

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I've heard an old test to check for too much piston blow-by and/or a stuffed pcv system is to remove the dipstick and put/seal a balloon around the tube. Supposedly if the piston rings and pcv system are stuffed, the balloon will pump up as the warmed engine idles. Same can be done by removing the oil filler and sealing a latex glove around the opening ;)

I've never tried it myself but it sounds plausible as Adam Savage or Jammie Hyneman may say :p In any case it's an easy diagnostic step that may help identify a root cause of a gasket failure :rolleyes:

Cause I like videos, a similar tests on a more easily worked on old timers engine is shown below:

and a balloon test on a small generator engine:

and more balloon tests, like checking for leaking valves, that you can do as a quick chcek during a rebuild:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Permaseal are a decent gasket. I have a pair in the shed because I was told i have a leak. That was over two years ago and I haven't got around to replacing them yet. Seems odd one is leaking as I've had mine off twice and reused the old gaskets both times.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the LS rocker covers have a bar around the bolts to hold it down also so u can do it up as tight as u want the bar will stop it from going any further so if the seals have gone hard or moved then it may not even hold them down tight anymore could be another issue