Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rods '70 HG Brougham

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Turbo pattern 308's didn't appear until the HJ, after the 350's were dropped from the model line-up. According to my records, the HJ Statesman ran the 308 with TH400. Some time down the track, the TH400 was replaced with the lighter TH350.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Ouch that roof dont look good thats going to be a pain to get it smooth afterwards

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Looking at the rust, it seems very serious in the roof and below the rear window. Broughams had a vinyl roof as standard but it was called an "island" vinyl roof because it didn't go right to the front and side edges of the roof, and was finished off with moulding clipped all the way around. It was a "delete option", but very few owners chose to delete them. I can't see any sign of the studs that the clips fitted over, but that rust tells me it was fitted with the vinyl roof. Was that the case?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
No, the first 308's came with the Powerglide in the HT. The HT was introduced in May 1969, the Brougham in June 1969 and the HG came out in July 1970. Those really late HT's I was talking about, would have been amongst the last ones made, probably around June/July 1970.

The 307 in the HT ran out sometime during the second half of 1969. Even though the 308 was available from June 1969 with the Brougham, you couldn't option it in other models until the 307 ran out. I had a 307 HT Premier which was a late 1969 model, but it had the Powerglide.

well what were the trimatics behind in the HTs? what was the first ever 308/trimatic combination?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking at the rust, it seems very serious in the roof and below the rear window. Broughams had a vinyl roof as standard but it was called an "island" vinyl roof because it didn't go right to the front and side edges of the roof, and was finished off with moulding clipped all the way around. It was a "delete option", but very few owners chose to delete them. I can't see any sign of the studs that the clips fitted over, but that rust tells me it was fitted with the vinyl roof. Was that the case?

correct, the studs were ground off when i took the roof to bare metal 10 yrs ago, was never going to replace the vinyl and decided the strip would look ugly on its own

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have no idea what the first Trimatic HT's were - they could have been sixes or eights, because they all ran the same bolt pattern, tail-shaft, cross-member, etc as the Powerglide so they were a very easy swap over. It's a very long time since I saw that car with the odd badge - in fact, I suspect it was on an LC Torana, which was introduced in October 1969 and that was when the Trimatic was first introduced to the market. If you bought the LC with a six, you got three auto speeds but you had to wait another seven months or so to get it on the larger cars.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have no idea what the first Trimatic HT's were - they could have been sixes or eights, because they all ran the same bolt pattern, tail-shaft, cross-member, etc as the Powerglide so they were a very easy swap over. It's a very long time since I saw that car with the odd badge - in fact, I suspect it was on an LC Torana, which was introduced in October 1969 and that was when the Trimatic was first introduced to the market. If you bought the LC with a six, you got three auto speeds but you had to wait another seven months or so to get it on the larger cars.

if they were 8s it would have been 308 as the 307 is a dif pattern

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
120px-HG-trimatic-boot.jpg

thats off a HG:
Badges - Holdenpaedia