Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rods '70 HG Brougham

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
120px-HG-trimatic-boot.jpg

thats off a HG:
Badges - Holdenpaedia

I know it's risky to make statements contrary to records like this, but that badge did NOT appear on HG's. On reflection, contrary to what I said earlier, I can't even be sure it ever appeared on those rare HT's with a Trimatic, but it did appear on early LC Toranas, from October '69. HG Trimatics had the same basic simple badge as the later models. That badge, as I said, was extremely rare and went out of production VERY quickly, for some reason. (Could be because it was bloody ugly). If anybody else can tell me that they recall this badge on HG's, please say so. I'll be willing to bet that nobody can remember them, yet the later badge is easy to recall because it was so common.

Notice how that listing only has one badge for Torana's. They had heaps of badges exclusive to the Torana, yet only one is on this listing, so it's not only inaccurate, it's incomplete. Where's the Series 70 from the HB, the Brabham Torana, the 2250/2600 badges/stickers from the fuel caps? Quite a few missing, but it's a fascinating site, just the same.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
once you start to run decent grunt through the rear end it walks around a fair bit. really have to dial in the opposite lock lol.

will be a nice thing when shes going, i love a nice brougham. an old guy drives one around my town, but its a ht.

My HT used to have a fair bit of slop in the suspension, because the HT's had much larger rubber bushes than the HK. The front end also went to rubber bushes instead of the old steel greasable types. I fixed my car by replacing front and rear suspension completely with HK parts which even included the front cross-member, to get rid of the slop and tighten the suspension up. It was easy back then, HK's were very common. Different story now, though.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I know it's risky to make statements contrary to records like this, but that badge did NOT appear on HG's. I won't even say it ever appeared on those rare HT's with a Trimatic, but it did appear on early LC Toranas, from October '69. HG Trimatics had the same basic simple badge as the later models. That badge, as I said, was extremely rare and went out of production VERY quickly, for some reason. (Could be because it was bloody ugly). If anybody else can tell me that they recall this badge on HG's, please say so. I'll be willing to bet that nobody can remember them, yet the later badge is easy to recall because it was so common.

Notice how that listing only has one badge for Torana's. They had heaps of badges exclusive to the Torana, yet only one is on this listing, so it's not only inaccurate, it's incomplete. Where's the Series 70 from the HB, the Brabham Torana, the 2250/2600 badges/stickers from the fuel caps? Quite a few missing, but it's a fascinating site, just the same.

Here ya go mate, you can borrow mine :p
P061109_1630.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
JUst to get this thread back on track, and off badges, my earlier post regarding what I did to the suspension on my HT is something I would seriously recommend considering if you want the Brougham to handle better.

As I said, the rubber bushes in the front and rear suspension was designed to provide better insulation from road noise and a smoother, softer ride than the HK. The problem was that the bushes clapped out and allowed too much lateral movement in the rear end, and all sorts of odd geometry changes in the front end when cornering. My HT used to actually have the left hand front wheel move back so far when cornering hard left that the tyre would rub on the rear of the wheel arch. This meant the bushes were allowing the suspension to move backwards by about 50mm under hard cornering. Once I pissed the HT suspension off and installed a complete HK front and rear end, with new bushes and insulators in the rear springs, lthe suspension tightened up completely.

If you can get your hands on an HK, it is worth the effort transferring the complete suspension over. That will also mean the front crossmember.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
got half way through sanding the roof down today until my panel beater comes home for lunch and tells me he is just going to sand blast it instead.......cleaned some chrome up and took sum pics

Calaber - thanks for the info mate, the front end already is HK and the dif will be a VS and the guy building the dif for me is highly recomended so im sure whatever he comes up with will be fine, however if i see a HK V8 for sale cheap ima buy it :) but from memory she used to drive like you were sitting still and everything was coming towards you - even at 90-100 miles. and that site with the badges has a lot of things wrong lol but im almost positive the HG was the first ever 308/trimatic combination and i have actually never seen that badge before (the one ari 666 linked)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Rod

The fellow fitting the diff will probably only do the work necessary to adapt the Commodore housing to the HT springs. The actual work involved would be identical for an HK spring set up - all you need to do is find a pair of suitable HK rear springs, re-bush them and fit the nylon insulators beween the leaves. The front bush on the rear spring is the culprit - it is a much larger diameter on the HT and gets pretty sloppy because it was never a very hard rubber. The HK bush is much smaller and firmer. The springs are a straight swap for the HT's so if you get the new diff fitted before you find HK springs, you can always swap them over later. It'd definitely worth the effort. If you do swap them over, replace every rubber and the inter-leaf insulators with new stuff (if you can still get it). There's no need to look for a V8 set up either - I used standard HK sedan rear springs and I think they might even have been from a six cylinder car. I suspect the springs were slightly stiffer (more leaves) on the HK, too.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Calaber! :) thats some handy information and i will def look into that, by the way you mention HT alot-shes a HG not sure if that is different suspension again or not - either way its homework time!

meanwhile- some pic of some of the chrome :D the rest of it is strategically buried haha

Attachments

• feb  2011 008.jpg
    feb 2011 008.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 356
  • feb  2011 018.jpg
    feb 2011 018.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 470
  • feb  2011 007.jpg
    feb 2011 007.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 494
  • feb  2011 013.jpg
    feb 2011 013.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 312
  • feb  2011 010.jpg
    feb 2011 010.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 344
  • feb  2011 003.jpg
    feb 2011 003.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 352
  • feb  2011 017.jpg
    feb 2011 017.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 287
  • feb  2011 015.jpg
    feb 2011 015.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 302
  • feb  2011 019.jpg
    feb 2011 019.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 397
  • feb  2011 012.jpg
    feb 2011 012.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 282
  • feb  2011 005.jpg
    feb 2011 005.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 322
  • feb  2011 014.jpg
    feb 2011 014.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 303
  • feb  2011 011.jpg
    feb 2011 011.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 290
  • feb  2011 016.jpg
    feb 2011 016.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 306
  • feb  2011 004.jpg
    feb 2011 004.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 346
  • feb  2011 009.jpg
    feb 2011 009.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 286
  • feb  2011 006.jpg
    feb 2011 006.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 390

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
here is another Q for ya.

does the brougham have any flutes in the guards? or was that limited to monaros?

almost certain it was monaros, not a big fan of em personally but they do suit the xu1 very nicely

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
here is another Q for ya.

does the brougham have any flutes in the guards? or was that limited to monaros?

No. No Broughams had flutes. Flutes were a GTS thing. You really don't know much about HK-T-G's do you Ari? :p