Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roll Racing - how to ?

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Hi Guys, I may not have the correct forum but, having my first go @ Roll Racing in a couple of weeks and other than attending & watching a few times I have no experience at this. Other than knowing it is a rolling start @ 40k's I am looking for input on how to launch my VF V8 auto. Do you manually shift / rely totally on the auto / some mix of both ?
Any input would be appreciated as I'm keen to have some fun in a controlled environment.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
you will have try and see what works for you, i think you would be in manual mode and shift with your paddles

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
you will have try and see what works for you, i think you would be in manual mode and shift with your paddles
Thanks John. No paddles in the VF but can use the stick in manual (just need to remember to push it up, not pull it back !!).

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What rpm are you at in 2nd at 40kph?

Me, in a 4 speed, with 3.91 rear, with traction control off and sports mode on, I leave it in 2nd then mash the loud pedal and click into drive, hold on and try and keep it straight

You, with your 6 speed may just need to find out what gear has some rpm at 40kph, leave it in that until you hit it, then just throw it in drive

Don't worry too much about winning or losing in your first outing, focus more on what gear gives you your launch revs, and how hard you need to mash the pedal when you do launch

Keep off the limiter, let the auto shift for you, manual shifting is fraught with danger, you may short shift and lose revs, you may hit the limiter which is just as bad, you may get it right

Try your first run or 2 with traction control on and sports mode off to see if it wants to activate, a little wheel slip is good, alot of slip will either just bag up the rear or possibly point you at the wall, both don’t help you go fast

Then, after a run or 2, go into sports more, then try turning traction control off

If you bag it up fairly easily lower your rear tyre pressure a little bit and see if that help, be aware that lowering your tyre pressure will effect handling in the top end

Be aware that when it shifts hard it may get "lose"

It is a game of test and adjust

Just focus on having some fun

Everyone starts slow

Keep your car serviced

Check for leaks

And as you have already probably witnessed, 80% of people (cheaters) will jump the start

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Another 2 cents

Reply in this thread how you went

Not only will it give me something to read, it will give you somewhere to document the things you learnt

Documenting stuff helps for the next time, it can help you remember stuff

If you can set up a in car camera pointing at your dash, this gives you a data on where your shifting in relation to rpm, KPH and other stuff you can look at after the fog of war has settled

Post it up as well

Currently watching other people have fun is all I've got with this lockdown

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Thanks GB - that is going to help me heaps. Way different watching & guessing what is happening than actually getting it done.
Car is in the shop for a tune, but I'll check RPM in 2nd @ 40k & experiment with 3rd as well during next week and reply. RR is 24/7 @ Tailem Bend & hoping it stays dry. Camera is a great idea - will mess around and see if I can get it mounted somewhere practical.

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
RR is cancelled (due to weather / lockdown). I haven't been able to test RPM @ 40k's yet or install a camera viewing the instruments as the car is in the city & I'm in the country and not permitted to travel. Maybe next week....

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
RR is cancelled (due to weather / lockdown). I haven't been able to test RPM @ 40k's yet or install a camera viewing the instruments as the car is in the city & I'm in the country and not permitted to travel. Maybe next week....

Yeah, the weather and the lockdown is a pain

Pitty your car is not with you, mine has received alot of TLC over the lockdowns

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Finally RR has happened :) Bad news is the dash cam kept on failing & I haven't figured out why yet, just intermittent - can see it in the pits and rolling around the track, but not a second of racing.... My sons took some stuff with their phones while in the car, so I'll take a look when I get it & hopefully post some. up
Also with the binnacle dash setup there is no way to get camera in there to cover either dial (speedo / tacho) unfortunately.
They changed the start to rolling 50kph (and you are right, almost everyone jumps). Using your advice we took things simple and found rolling in 2nd @ 50k's had revs just nice @ around 4,500. We launched from there and flicked it to auto pretty quickly. Stepped out (quite a bit on the first runs, but less once tyre warmed up). It changed from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th steeping out at the change but we held our nerve and kept the boot into it.

First run showed 180 on the head's up, eventually low 190's - didn't vary much. Won most of the runs except when we stuffed up - holding too long in 2nd OR got jumped and couldn't pull them back. Won against some reasonable cars (Skyline, Evo, HSV GTS) but in the eliminators we were up against a highly modified Mustang, missed the start, were running it down but done by 2 car lengths.

In summary, tune never happened due to workshop issues, not even an airbox filter clean so I think we've got a bit more to come with that & learning to drive it better. However being able to drive hard, enjoy & control the wheelspin between gears was well worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing your tips - it helped a lot and put us way ahead of where we would have been on our 1st run. Both boys are keen for another in 4 weeks or so & will get it tuned this time !

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Guys - I have a few small videos but not sure how to post them. I tried as an attachment but they are "too large" - they range from 4 MB to 26MB. Is there another way to upload them ?