Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roll Racing - how to ?

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
GB - Mate, I feel for you. Sydney lockdown is massive & not a real end in sight. Like the old song line "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone". Stay safe

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
GB - Mate, I feel for you. Sydney lockdown is massive & not a real end in sight. Like the old song line "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone". Stay safe

Yeah, it's a necessary evil at the moment

But eventually me and the old girl can have a run in anger again

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Looks good. This was my run against a mate in a VR Statesman which had some work done to it. I just beat him because he was getting fuel cut at the top of 3rd. This was also the run my exhaust came loose at about the 10-11 seconds mark just as it shifts into 2nd

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Talk about gear shifts - this is where we are rolling in manual 2nd (6 speed auto) but not loaded up enough when flicking to auto. It grabs 3rd and dies :-( All a learning curve.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Great vids guys. I have been wondering about this RR gig for a while. Nearest to us is in Sydney so may have to do a run up there when the dreaded COVID passes. It looks like a bit of fun. Any tips for doing this in a manual ute?

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Have watched a few but only just did our first run and in a 6 speed auto, so unfortunately I can't offer any advice other than have fun, check out some of the radical cars & enjoy doing something which would get your car crushed if you got caught on a public road :D

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
As a beginner, one thing that I had been told & now understand, is that a good launch is so important.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

Acknowledged. I pulled up the dyno figures for the ute and, if I am reading it right, would need to launch in a gear that is around 3200 RPM at the launch speed with a gear change at around 5200 RPM to get the best of the torque/power. While keeping it in a straight line.

201210 Dyno Run-page-001.jpg

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I had a bit of a play. I think launching in second is defintiely the way to go. Third bogs dwon and the legs are a little short in first. The big problem is getting a smooth change from second to third. I hjave a short shifter but it is not smooth. May have to invest in something of better quality.