Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Roller cam blocks prefix

vndetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
VT 350 Engine buildup
I would like to confirm that I have found evidence that some of the later VS block were cast as rollers with the higher lifter bores as you can compare the 2 block from my previous link of a VS block to this link of a VT block build up. You can clearly see that the lifter bores between the 2 are the same. But I've also found out that the retaining plate is no longer available through Holden, only the supports for the lifters. So i'll have to use Crow cams' VT tie bar lifters. But for though's of you that are thinking of going roller like I am, I've also found out that COME Racing have designed roller lifters specifically for the earlier style bocks that elliminates the unmasking of the oil holes with cams over .600" lift' & an oil pump drive gear to suit.
All my problem are solved & I hope this will help other too.

andydtuned

Reaction score
Members Ride
HZ 304
Hey im tryin to identify my motor, its a 304, was told from a VR, but its got roller lifters, engine number startes SU79****. ive gotta replace the cam and 2 lifters due to a arm on the lifter retainer snapping an lifters turning an grinding on cam. lookin at a cam from a HSV VT wondering if it will work. any help much appresiated.

Andy G

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
Not All Series 3 5lts were roller blocks, VU prefix is a normal 5lt,

BUT Cars built after december 1998 onwards were all roller cam- As was ALL VT's all carry a VM engine no Prefix

VM prefixed cars all are MAF equiped(aka Air Flow Meter) and Run 3 Plug ECU's- Same as VT's- which suit sequential Injection

VU are MAP sensored and have the 2 plug ECU found in VS series 1 or 2

so no VS SWB sedans were ever factory rollercam,

a Handfull VS Stateman/Caprice's were but not many (as the WH got released)

Most rollercam equiped VS's are Utes

just search for a VS 1999 ute engine bay Picture there are some physical diffrences you can see- first is the MAF

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
while we are on the subject, does anyone grind roller cams for the old style valve setup?

surely someone must. custom billet = expensive.

the biggest hassle will be roller lifters. i noticed that comp cams does roller lifters to suit early non roller chev blocks. these might work with our blocks also? would be cheaper then custom jobbies that COME does

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i was wondering that too. our lifters are basically SBC lifters, correct? so then the retros from SBC must be the same as ours (or you would think so anyway)

655 for sbc retros VPW Performance Mailorder

just need to measure the lifter bore spacing of the chev block and see if they are the same as the holden block. otherwise the tie bars between the sets of lifters might cause issues

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
To my knowledge, the lifter spacing is different between a SBC and Holden V8. You can buy retrofit roller lifters for Holden V8 but they will be Chev roller lifters modified to suit the Holden V8. As far as i know, COME is the only place you can buy roller lifters that are MADE to suit Holden V8. As for roller cams, any cam manufacturer will have grinds to suit early Holden V8.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know this is an old thread but its' been referenced in another thread so I may as well update it with the most relevant information to date.

The Holden engine seems to actually be based on the Pontiac V8 design which has the same lifter bore spacing. As such, Pontiac tie bar roller lifters (solid and hydraulic) can be used in the Holden block and these can be sourced from the US a lot cheaper than brands supplied locally in Australia.