Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rotation of strut tops

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
i have purchased new tyres and before I fit the fronts I would like to rotate my strut tops for less neg camber. Currently top centre is towards the motor(max camber), I love the turn in of this setting but It does chew tyres. Since my 2nd hand tyre supply has dried up tyre wear is now a concern to me.
Finding pics of the 3 different settings is hard to find since poobucket has gone nuts. Just need a confirmation really.

I want to rotate the tops so the centre is towards the outer guards and towards the firewall. Is this correct???
I've searched the hell out of it but without pics I had to ask the question.
Suspension is all pedders sportsryder from a vn currently installed in a vh.

Thanks for any imput

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, you'd be correct setting the strut tops to that position for the best camber and caster settings to prevent tyre wear

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Thankyou very much. I was hoping you'd reply as it seems you know your **** inside an out. Thanks again mate

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Out of curiosity how much negative camber does it have?

H

harrop.senator

If you love the camber and turn in .5 mm of toe in per degree of neg camber helps use more of the tyre.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
My standard height vp ute has cap in dead centre...old stuffed set up was same & so too wreck with all reco'd suspension.

Is that factory setting?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not really truly the centre but yes that would be the factory setting. You can rotate it to one of 3 positions, the other positions increase camber and caster. I tend to run max camber a little more caster. TBH on our old VN even with lowered springs I never really had any issues with excessive tyre wear on the inside edge.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That's how it was so put it back that way...it's too slow anyway to try corners haha

My sle is set up as Brisbarnz said towards guard & firewall with sl springs but need to raise car to standard height.
(changed to manual rack & sl springs to stockers)

Guessing central position or pointing firewall/guard position works too for standard height?

Dunno why but found v8 lc torana easier to understand.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Set as far back towards the firewall

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My standard height vp ute has cap in dead centre...old stuffed set up was same & so too wreck with all reco'd suspension.

Is that factory setting?

I have seen these bearing plates in all 3 positions in low mileage cars....I have even seen them with the centre pointing towards the motor and the radiator in standard height cars, that appear to be the original position from the factory.....

(Clues were stuffed shockers that bent the strut tower upwards and even a couple that the shocker went threw the bearing plate and left it's mark on the inner of the bonnet)

Ideally, the only way to be confident you have the correct position is look at the camber and caster settings and make the judgement call from there for the optium positioning.....However seeing you are just replacing them, putting them back in the same position is a good starting point.

Last edited: