Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut top Issues

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
Hey guys i've put BC Racing coilovers into my VF SS and when i did that i put in new strut tops (Just the cheapies off ebay). Noticed the strut tops sit above the strut tower (More so on the drivers side) and now it has a small knocking sound under super slow speeds/stationary from the drivers side. It free spins the strut top by hand where the passenger side doesn't do it. Wondering if i rattle gun the top mount off and reinstall it maybe that'll help or have i possibly got dud strut tops?
Any ideas lads? It is going in for an alignment tomorrow so not super concerned and since the knocking I had a trip booked and have done about 300km of driving and it still drives great.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I just replaced my shocks and rebuilt with all new bushings, there will be a slight gap, but if they're knocking something is wrong. Did you put the bearings in the right way round? (Given they just sit in there, its easy to miss and put them in the wrong way round)

There is every chance it could be the cheap strut tops. To be frank, if you spent the money for performance coil overs, any reason you went for cheap strut tops when they are a component that are important to the performance of the front suspension, and are known to not be the longest lasting even as OEM? Especially given you have an SS

Honestly, id get rid of the cheapies and get either OEM or a quality set, like SuperPro etc. I initially was going to use OEM but instead went with SuperPro Polyelast. Not as rigid as full urethane, but more durable than OEM rubber. Thus far extremely happy with the feel

Reactions: Lex

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
I just replaced my shocks and rebuilt with all new bushings, there will be a slight gap, but if they're knocking something is wrong. Did you put the bearings in the right way round? (Given they just sit in there, its easy to miss and put them in the wrong way round)

There is every chance it could be the cheap strut tops. To be frank, if you spent the money for performance coil overs, any reason you went for cheap strut tops when they are a component that are important to the performance of the front suspension, and are known to not be the longest lasting even as OEM? Especially given you have an SS

Honestly, id get rid of the cheapies and get either OEM or a quality set, like SuperPro etc. I initially was going to use OEM but instead went with SuperPro Polyelast. Not as rigid as full urethane, but more durable than OEM rubber. Thus far extremely happy with the feel
Only reason i went with them was that i had used them before in my VX V8 wagon and had no issues. The bearings were in fine (as per the bc instructions they included their own). Might look into the superpro ones you have as it is a daily I don't think the performance ones will be suitable

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
they usually bang around a little especially hitting the little reflectors on the road at around 30 km/h

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Only reason i went with them was that i had used them before in my VX V8 wagon and had no issues. The bearings were in fine (as per the bc instructions they included their own). Might look into the superpro ones you have as it is a daily I don't think the performance ones will be suitable

Ive been very impressed with the Polyelast ones, in both daily driving and some spirited runs through the Adelaide Hills. No detectable change in NVH, and claimed to be more durable than OEM. Granted they are new so it will be awhile to tell durability, but happy over all. Also make sure when re-assembling your strut tops that the washers are all the right way round (The superpro's come with thicker washers)

Got mine on eBay during a sale, think I payed only about $120

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
Ive been very impressed with the Polyelast ones, in both daily driving and some spirited runs through the Adelaide Hills. No detectable change in NVH, and claimed to be more durable than OEM. Granted they are new so it will be awhile to tell durability, but happy over all. Also make sure when re-assembling your strut tops that the washers are all the right way round (The superpro's come with thicker washers)

Got mine on eBay during a sale, think I payed only about $120
Cool i'll have a look. I used the washers supplied with the BC Coilovers and followed the instructions for which direction haha