Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle after cleaning tb

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Hey all,

What would cause a rough idle straight after cleaning tb? It was filthy and just before this I replaced the fuel filter.

Of course after cleaning tb, it coughed as it usually does, however it just settles down now to a rough, grumbly idle. There is no hesitation or power loss. I checked and I don't seemed to have disconnected any vacuum lines. All I did was take off air intake as hold up the butterfly and spray in. Started car right up again.

Do I have to reset computer at all? Did the tb clean adjust idle because of gunk clean? Or could there sometimes be crap stuck in fuel lines?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Remove and clean the Idle Air Control Valve and passage.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
I just did that to no avail. I can't understand for the life of me as to why it would do this after just cleaning the tb!! Before this it idled good!! I did take of plenum cover and it was dirty also have it a good clean. I'm at a loss as it was running fine

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery to reset the ecu. Cars will learn driving habits and adjust running as required. Have you taken for a good long drive to make sure all the cleaning fluid is gone? Otherwise, double check all sensors are plugged in and all clamps are done up really nice and tight. Check air filter seat correctly. Maybe have a careful look to see if you've agitated any cracks in any vacuum lines?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I normaly take the tb off and strip it and clean with tb cleaner and a old tooth brush..
Is all the connections back on tight?

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Only thing I did notice is that I can hear a sucking sound at around 40kmh and 2000rpm light throttle. Searching and searching!

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Maybe the vac line under the throttle body had been bumped

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Run the engine and spray water from a spray bottle at and around the throttle body. If engine note changes, you have a leak.

Check the vacuum lines and IAC valve and TPS wiring and connectors.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Thanks checked all that. Sprayed around it all. Also fitted new plenum cover gasket today. Old one wouldn't fit. I took it for a spirited run on highway today. When I came ho
It idled normally for about a minute then was up to its rough idle again.