Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough Idle and traction control error reading

agsryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Sportswagon
I started my car today and it idled rough and an error came up regarding the traction control. it smoothed out after a while the check engine light and traction control light stopped flashing. thoughts?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Possible it was slightly flooded if the last time it was started was very brief like just moving the car along the driveway a bit.
It could also be something more serious like a failing ignition coil or sensor. If it does that again get someone to scan the fault codes to find out what's going on.

agsryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Sportswagon
Possible it was slightly flooded if the last time it was started was very brief like just moving the car along the driveway a bit.
It could also be something more serious like a failing ignition coil or sensor. If it does that again get someone to scan the fault codes to find out what's going on.

thank you, it was flooded. i was away for a month for work and found out my wifes dad started my car and left it running without driving it while i was away....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I learnt this the hard way after my wife just 'moved' my car a bit one day ;)

Conzzziiee123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb commodore
my senator has been playing up heaps! taken it everywhere and no one can figure it out!
gets service vehicle soon once idling or under load crawling. flashes on and off followed by rough idle then traction turns off and wont come back on until turn the car off and on. only idles rough when svs comes on otherwise fine!

sydcouple6269

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
My does the same if i start and move around yard, not going for a drive. Next start runs rough and traction control fault. After start driving sorts itself out. No faults ever recorded, Never does it if left after a normal drive. There probably is a reason for it.

Last edited:

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Alllll classic signs of battery on the way out on a VE.
Will still start and run but you will get all those stupid faults. My VE senator did all of that (i worked fifo so it sat a lot) and even though the battery tested ok it was suggested to get a decent new one as i did find it slower to crank leading up to getting it checked.
Did that (i actually spent up and got an optima) and never had an issue again in the next three years.

Letswagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sportswagon
Just started having this exact fault.

Check engine light and stability ctrl error, Lights also are flickering when it’s idling rough so I think that’s leaning more towards battery, I’ve seen that VE’s do weird things with low battery’s.

I’d also left mine sitting for a few weeks and in that time the missus had started it up and let it run for awhile with no issues but that probz flooded it and isn’t helping the low batt

Ve6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
I had check engine light with stability control turning on and off and a rough idle, the codes were for cyl1 and 2 misfire, was due for plugs and leads so changed them but still same problem. Swapped a coil from cyl3 to 1 and still cyl 1&2 misfire so got injectors replaced and all good again.

Goodzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series LPG Sportswagon
I had check engine light with stability control turning on and off and a rough idle, the codes were for cyl1 and 2 misfire, was due for plugs and leads so changed them but still same problem. Swapped a coil from cyl3 to 1 and still cyl 1&2 misfire so got injectors replaced and all good again.
I have this exact same issue now and been quoted 7k to pull the head believing it’s a sticky valve, did you work out what is was