Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed sensor fault

Nick Spiliotis

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE 3.6 Lumina
Hi Guys,
I have a 07 lumina. On the way from a long trip it came up with abs error and turned my traction control off. I know this common. But after I stopped and restarted the engine it went away and now the centre digital display goes weird, like showing the km going to 30ks when the car is stationary and showing the handbrake is on when it's not. Only randomly. The abs error comes on randomly and goes off restart. I haven't ever replaced the abs sensors so is it the reason for this crazy dash stuff? Please help and thank you in advance.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the health of the battery.
Have it load tested.
Have the charge circuit tested.

You can buy a gadget that does that for you. $50. Or take the car to battery world. They load test it for free. Not sure if they test the charge circuit.

Why does this matter? In low voltage conditions the ECM starts dropping operating circuits/systems to conserve voltage and re-direct it to more critical systems like coils and injection.

A super simple starting point. These tests can’t be done with a multimeter and a quick eyeball of the battery. Nor can a solution be made on guesses.

Let’s start at the start and go from there.

You would be well served to get a scan tool on the car to gather more data on what the CANbus is seeing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sometimes software can pooch screw itself for obscure reasons and it needs a cold reboot to fix itself. Such problems can also occur due to battery voltage helping with the pooch screw

So an even easier thing to try is to disconnect the battery earth wire for 5 minutes and then reconnect it. Doing such is a cold reboot of the vehicles systems which is akin to the old school “turn it off turn it back on“ approach to fault finding :p Don’t laugh, it can do wonders:p

After trying that, consider every thing that FU mentioned, even if the cold reboot resolved the problem because failing batteries can be PITA on modern cars (computers with wheels) well before you have engine start issues :oops:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
One of your rear ABS sensors is dying. I replaced both of them on our 2011 VE SV6. Good as new again.
Alternatively it could be a damaged ABS sensor lead.