Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough Idle/ Spark plug change help.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As has been said, check the colour on the gasket, it'll be visible without lifting the manifold as the stock item is orange.

There are also vac lines on the manifold. One on either side (and a smaller one on the D/S back for heater) and there is the one that goes under the manifold and terminates up near the throttle body.

The L piece can sometimes perish or the hose can even become crimped if the manifold has been removed.

Another thing that could be an issue is these coil packs sometimes split on removal. So, if somebody has removed a coilpack and damaged it this may be a cause.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Get a Vacuum Gauge and connect it to the engine and see if the needle bounces or is steady at about 20 IN/HG

If it bounces it can be from a leaky gasket as mentioned above, worn valves or bad compression.

Assuming the engine is good and there are no leaks the gauge needle should be steady. Another test is, if you are thinking of a leaking manifold gasket you can use WD40 penetrating oil and spray a dab on suspected trouble spots, might "cure" it for few seconds. Is that the case, there is your leak. Other tricks is with Starting Fluid (ether base), is a bit dangerous and if not familiar with it, can ruin your day pretty darn quick.

Silenced

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
quick update:

ive looked at the gasket and touched the edge with my finger. it definitely feels like metal but i don't know for sure. heres a picture also:

29dtzes.jpg

also i had a go at starting the car then removing the coil packs one at a time to see. i decided to video it after i did on the first couple and it really showed no difference?
in the video i went back to the car to see if the revs lowered or if any check engine came up but nothing.. i then stopped the video and when back to the car after putting it back on and it was flashing check engine.

the video is uploaded on youtube and should be available to watch very shortly at this link: IMG 9120 - YouTube

also i noticed that the car seems to shake alot more after it warms up and sits on 600 RPM

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
It's hard to tell off the video. It should only run slightly rougher when you pulled the plug out and no change if it's a dead coil.

I know it's loud but can you hear and air leaks. Hissing or anything like that. You can go to a mechanic and do a leak test. They pump smoke into the engine and see where it comes out from. As said before could be a little leak somewhere.

Gasket shown is a metal gasket

Silenced

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
if someone owns a ve omega and could video what a engine should be sounding like with no problems that would be awesome!

ill check tomorrow alex05. one thing i did notice was that the oil return thing that hooks up to the throttle body plastic air thing had a slight crack in it and i ducktaped it. it looked like the manifold got hot and slowly burnt the rubber.

the pipe im talking about is the one you have to undo off the plastic thing in front of the throttle body that is then connected to the MAF and air filter. if that made any sense haha.

Relax98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
Did you find a cause? I have a similar symptom but also get a misfire code for the Drivers side bank, then the fuel shuts off on those 3 injectors.