Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

roundabout rules?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Well I think we all do. They change a bit and I m sure there are new rules I am not aware of. Given I’ve had my licence for 32 years. The thing is you can get away with it if you are courteous and realise you are not the only person on the road.

You are correct. Road rules change fairly often, and the problem is, there is no direct communication in terms of email/mail outs or whatnot to registered vehicle owners (which I think should be compulsory, explaining the new road laws).

It is always safer to err on the side of caution. I'm much more concerned about keeping my neck in one piece and keeping my car in one piece than barging around everywhere. But still, don't go under the speed limit, and if using the right lane, make sure you're going faster than those in the right lane, or move if people are coming up behind you. Even worse on 2 lane roads where people are sitting next to each other in the left/right lane so no one can pass. ########s!!!

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Err... which law states that? Please produce this because I know for a fact you are talking out your arse just at the moment. ;)

The rule is you have to give way to any vehicle already IN the round about.

The only vehicles you have to give way to that are APPROACHING the round about are trams.

Source:
Road Safety Road Rules 2009, Part 9, r114: Giving way when entering or driving in a roundabout

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/PubStatbook.nsf/b05145073fa2a882ca256da4001bc4e7/36E852AA5A0D62CACA25761E001F5FF1/$FILE/09-094sr.pdf

Thats what I thought too, until I got booked for failing to give way because a car was approaching the roundabout from my right and I continued through the intersection because he was 20 meters away and traveling very slowly. So slowly infact, that I was completely through the intersection BEFORE he even entered it. I still got booked and lost 3 points because you must give way to vehicle approaching to you right.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Thats what I thought too, until I got booked for failing to give way because a car was approaching the roundabout from my right and I continued through the intersection because he was 20 meters away and traveling very slowly. So slowly infact, that I was completely through the intersection BEFORE he even entered it. I still got booked and lost 3 points because you must give way to vehicle approaching to you right.

I strongly suggest you challenge your ticket. Because it looks like the cop that booked you under a non-existant rule.

The specific law is outlined in the pdf i linked to. You can use this in the challenge.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
I call garbage, still have the infringement?

You are mean't, at law, to give way to any vehicle on the roundabout - that 'vehicle' might have entered it before you - on your left, that means from a left adjoinging road - entered before you, OR from a road on the right.

Naturally most Aussies simply use 'speed' to POWER on through - when approaching you on your right; - some in ignorance of the rules, others quite deliberately - simply to annoy you. The rule is black and white, no amount of discussion will change that; crash, and you will pay a penalty regardless of your legal reality-opposing view.

Driving badly IS a national pastime, it is what we LOVE to do, minute by minute, a result of our low driver quality expectation, low speed limits etc.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I must admit, I've never driven in another capital city. I've seen Melbourne peak hour, and it wasn't something I would look forward too, but my Dad said he loved Canberra's peak hour traffic, barely any traffic at all.

It's interesting to note that there are driving "cultures". Melbourne traffic is very polite, leaving gaps, giving way etc.. In Canberra it doesn't matter. In Sydney you get eaten alive if you're not er... assertive. In Brisbane it just seems as if people are driving around thinking of anything other than driving. All generalisations of course.

When we are done talking about roundabouts let's move on to 4 way stop signs. Now THATS a full blown disaster. Makes the drive to work rather interesting. Stab the brakes then boot it before the other bloke stops. Bahaha

They're all over the US. You think they're bad here. Try negotiating them sitting on the "wrong" side of the car and road.

Isn't the correct technique for moving through a single lane roundabout without turning: maintain speed, straightlining it, while just brushing the tyres against the kerbs on the entry and exit on the LHS and the island on the RHS, who cares what other traffic is coming?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I call garbage, still have the infringement?

You are mean't, at law, to give way to any vehicle on the roundabout - that 'vehicle' might have entered it before you - on your left, that means from a left adjoinging road - entered before you, OR from a road on the right.

Naturally most Aussies simply use 'speed' to POWER on through - when approaching you on your right; - some in ignorance of the rules, others quite deliberately - simply to annoy you. The rule is black and white, no amount of discussion will change that; crash, and you will pay a penalty regardless of your legal reality-opposing view.

Driving badly IS a national pastime, it is what we LOVE to do, minute by minute, a result of our low driver quality expectation, low speed limits etc.

It was 7 years ago and I was 18 then, water under the bridge as far am im concerned. Its been interesting to read this thread though, it seems that the what most people's understanding (including mine) of giving way to your right is wrong.

After getting booked I thought my parents & instructor (who taught me the rules) interpretations had been wrong so Ive been following what the copper told me all these years. As you phrased it, I just "power through" unless someone is on my right. Looks like I might have to re-evaluate my approach to roundabouts from now on :)

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
it seems that the what most people's understanding (including mine) of giving way to your right is wrong. :)

only at a round about.
the give way to the right rule exists for other intersections.

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
Canberra doesnt matter because it is a big bloody round-a-bout.

Sydney's tactic seems to be drive a 4WD with a roo bar and plow through. It is a massive problem though because people need to learn how to safely make gaps and not cause a traffic jam.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Give way to the right still applies under the following circumstances;

1. At any intersection not controlled by Traffic lights, Give Way or Stop signs, and
2. Intersections controlled in all directions by Stop signs.