Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rumble-1979 HZ Kingswood Ute

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Before re-using the head bolts, make sure you wire brush them to remove every trace of the old sealant.

Check the condition of the valve stems - if water penetrated through an open manifold, the only way it found its way into the sump was via the inlet ports, so the stems will probably have a bit of surface rust which MUST be removed or it will rip the life out of the valve stem seals. (Won't be a problem if you intend to strip the heads and clean them up before reassembly though).

Love the pic of the car with the front panel and engine removed, looks like the average backyard Aussie workshop. Who needs walls and a roof?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ummm.. yeah so,is that rust?
169162d1389326178-rumble-1979-hz-kingswood-ute-ist-das.jpg

was ist das.jpg

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
ummm.. yeah so,is that rust?
169162d1389326178-rumble-1979-hz-kingswood-ute-ist-das.jpg

View attachment 169162

Surprisingly no, that's the floor which has been painted chassis black for a past rego inspection, cos the passengers floor has pinhole rust (to be repaired) which I covered and painted. The only rust in the engine bay is under the battery tray.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
Before re-using the head bolts, make sure you wire brush them to remove every trace of the old sealant.

Check the condition of the valve stems - if water penetrated through an open manifold, the only way it found its way into the sump was via the inlet ports, so the stems will probably have a bit of surface rust which MUST be removed or it will rip the life out of the valve stem seals. (Won't be a problem if you intend to strip the heads and clean them up before reassembly though).

Love the pic of the car with the front panel and engine removed, looks like the average backyard Aussie workshop. Who needs walls and a roof?

cheers mate, I'll definitely pull the heads apart and clean everything up,I know the heads have sat open to the air for an unknown amount of time so I won't take chances.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Surprisingly no, that's the floor which has been painted chassis black for a past rego inspection, cos the passengers floor has pinhole rust (to be repaired) which I covered and painted. The only rust in the engine bay is under the battery tray.

kk. do me a favour, when you paint it, stone guard all the way up to that seam, then once its been given a chance to set properley (2 weeks or so) paint the whole bay and blend it in underneath the trans tunnel.