Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rumours of VE GTS Coupe

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All I can say is that IF there is no Torana and there should be :) then Holden are more stupid than I could possibly imagine, how can you have a cooler car than a turbo V6 sedan sized car with a hatch to throw your shopping and push bike in and yes bring back the hatch hutch! so we can go camping in it. I want a lime green 6 speed manual turbo diesel Torana hatch and I want 0-100 in 7 seconds flat and 5 liters per hundred ks, yes please Mr Holden :)

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Look at the initial sales when an iconic "Holden" was re-released even at $50000+.
Holden are not that foolish to ignore this and I believe we will see the Torana and in a few years the new Monaro.
It just makes financial sense for Holden.
And yeah, bring back the Hatch Hutch.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Evman said:
Everything in this section is speculation at the moment mate. All we're doin is postin what we hear and what we'd like to become a reality. You say there will be a Torana Concept based model. How do you know? Although the odds are really good, it may have just been a design test dummy (I doubt it, but it's possible). Holden doesn't bring out production models of all concepts. Remember the UTEster? The awesome ute with the romovable roof? Where's the production version (it was a R&D tool for the yellow the Monaro came out in). Then there's the Sandman. The list goes on of concepts that never came to life.

I agree all were doin is saying what we want too see.
But evman remember that most of the concepts that holden release are already based on a holden car. utster was based on the normal holden ute with some awesome changes the sandman was just based off a wagon.
And most of the other concepts have actually been made in to real cars the monaro was a concept as was the adventra and the sx3 which is to be released as the captiva so the chances that a torana is coming out could be very good.
Ofcourse the efjiy is an exeception but i think that was to show what they were capable of.
So hopefully a torana wont be too far off

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
My opinion on the Torana concept was that it was brought out to test peoples reactions to the styling for the VE Commodore.

We all know the VE is going to share alot of the Torana's styling so it was a subtle way to see what people thought. Since most people liked the Torana thats the way they have decided to go.

Doesnt mean to say they wont bring the Torana out though, but it doesnt mean they will either. Just my thoughts.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I think the Torana would be great, Have a base model 3.2LT V6. Top of the range 3.2LT V6 TT. Save the 3.6LT V6 TT for the Commodore.
A lot of people don't mind power but would rather it in something the size of the Torana.
A Base Torana might go Sub $30,000, Top of the Range Sub $50,000.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
turtle-power said:
I think the Torana would be great, Have a base model 3.2LT V6. Top of the range 3.2LT V6 TT. Save the 3.6LT V6 TT for the Commodore.
A lot of people don't mind power but would rather it in something the size of the Torana.
A Base Torana might go Sub $30,000, Top of the Range Sub $50,000.

It's a tough call. The TT36 concept had 280kw, which would put Holden in the fight with FPV's turbo sixes, so if HSV was goin to do a TT model, they'd have to be up in the low to mid 300kw range. This is a good thing yes, but personally I think it's gettin close to a range (that should be) saved for top of the range performance V8's (ie GTS), and aftermarket stuff. If they were goin to do it, I'd say they'd stick with the one capacity, R&D on 2 capacities is basically like doin 2 completelly different engines (big $). With somethin like different turbos and tunes and the like, a good differentiation could be made between models

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
It's a tough call. The TT36 concept had 280kw, which would put Holden in the fight with FPV's turbo sixes, so if HSV was goin to do a TT model, they'd have to be up in the low to mid 300kw range. This is a good thing yes, but personally I think it's gettin close to a range (that should be) saved for top of the range performance V8's (ie GTS), and aftermarket stuff. If they were goin to do it, I'd say they'd stick with the one capacity, R&D on 2 capacities is basically like doin 2 completelly different engines (big $). With somethin like different turbos and tunes and the like, a good differentiation could be made between models

Considering the Torana is a smaller and lighter car than the Falcon it wouldnt need 300kw to be competitive with FPV's turbo sixes.

I think Holden would try and keep performance figures below that of the V8's. Look at Ford. They now have a 6 thats faster than an 8, not good for V8 sales.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Dave398 said:
I think Holden would try and keep performance figures below that of the V8's. Look at Ford. They now have a 6 thats faster than an 8, not good for V8 sales.

Not only that, but FPV are building a "performance icon" with a GT badge, that's slower than the XR8. They've got some serious issues they need to work out. The way I see it, the GT should be the performance champ of the Ford/FPV range, otherwise it's not doin the nametag justice.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
UPDATE

My bad, the article I saw pointed towards the coupe having the LS7 before the release of the VE GTS, not the coupe being the VE GTS. Either way, the post still stands, just the naming of the vehicle is different. Sorry about that.