Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running a V8 with a Lawn Mower Carby.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yep. This guy is getting some crazy economy. He thought too good to be true. 41 miles per gallon.
Car runs good enough. Thought a few of you would be interested.
He started it off as a joke but it got more serious as he found it worked really well.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
YUp, great.

Lets see him driving in stop/start traffic or up a mild incline on a motorway at 65mph (or a decent hill at any manageable speed).

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
YUp, great.

Lets see him driving in stop/start traffic or up a mild incline on a motorway at 65mph (or a decent hill at any manageable speed).
You didn’t watch the video did you? It does all those things fine, and gets about 5.5L/100kms doing it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sure it works ;)

And all those big automotive manufactureres have just been building gas guzzlers for years ruining the environment and making us spend a fortune on gas because they can. I remember many years ago I knew a guy with a V8 that had a single barrel stromberg carb on it, was quiet economical but it wasn't that quick. It's all a tradeoff.

Uncle Tony's Garage on youtube covers this topic quiet well. He had someone telling him similar results but when he wanted to do some independent testing he went all quiet.

I suggest if this guy above is so certain it works he gets some independent verification on his results.

He is correct, it takes very little hp to cruise down the road. But shove 4 fat friends in the car or want to tow a load and soon you will feel it wanting.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
That's amazing. 5.5L/100 for an old clapped out 302. Cruising at 70mph on a 32 mile drive.

I'd say the magic black box correcting afr had something to do with it too, but this guy is pretty switched on.

Thanks for the video, Fu.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Looked like he had fun with the project

0-100 kph in 4.5.......minutes......meh

Good on him

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Considering the heater he has in the car is a gas camp stove, I don’t think he takes the whole thing too seriously, just trying something different.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's amazing. 5.5L/100 for an old clapped out 302. Cruising at 70mph on a 32 mile drive.

I'd say the magic black box correcting afr had something to do with it too, but this guy is pretty switched on.

Thanks for the video, Fu.
There is some trickery going on there. I've seen that done before on a carb, it just leans it out. Then add timing to get it to burn right.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Great experiment but seriously buy a V8 and then can I get 2 cylinder economy and performance out of !!!!!!
Knowing what they are !
It's like spending $20k on a designer dog to breed more and then neuter it before you breed them/ make money and then go WTF why didn't that work!!!!

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Just slip in an Energy Polariser to align the fuel molecules with it's internal crystals and you'll get V8 performace with 4 stroke lawn mower economy.
Failing that, a Flux Capacitor, I believe, can also do the job.