Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running wires from ute back to cab, vy ss ute 2003

deanos70

Reaction score
This pic with the red wire , is the tub behind the drivers seat under the rear window
this can be manipulated out a little with a flat blade screwdriver and a wire run through
it comes out in behind the trim under the window once again

Attachments

• IMAG0525.jpg
    IMAG0525.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,066
  • IMAG0534.jpg
    IMAG0534.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,591

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yep, thats where my yellow tongue comes out as well.... Next one I might take a look, once I find it I may figure out a way of getting into it without removing the entire back wall carpet... which is a bit excessive in my line of work.

thanks for the photos mate, I really appreciate that.

deanos70

Reaction score
Last one i lifted up the fuel tank cover, you can see what are like 3 vent types
the middle one has a rubber seal across it that you can push a screwdriver though
then a wire

Attachments

• IMAG0518.jpg
    IMAG0518.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,894

deanos70

Reaction score
No worries at all, thanks for your replies as well

Yep, thats where my yellow tongue comes out as well.... Next one I might take a look, once I find it I may figure out a way of getting into it without removing the entire back wall carpet... which is a bit excessive in my line of work.

thanks for the photos mate, I really appreciate that.

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
hi there guys I want to run some wires from the cab through to the tailgate on my omega ute any one got any suggestion on which way to run the wire where its a neat finish, I was thinking of running them under the carpet and through the back wall of the cab then along the tub wall but un sure if there is a grommet between the two can anyone advise me if there is or not? thanks

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes there is mate just below the rear window on the far edge. Smallish grommet with another harness already in it. You will need yellow tongue or something similar as there is no access to it until just behind the taillight....

Forgot to add... drivers side. Cannot confirm passenger side

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
thanks. big job waiting for a weekend soon removing rear panel to get to the grommet fun times ahead

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
hey guys sorry to bump an old thread, looking to hook up a reverse camera in my ute this weekend to complete my head unit install, has anyone found a better location than the ones mentioned here? if my cable is long enough can I just run it all the way along the ute underneath and then come in through the firewall in the engine where my amp power leads come in? I don't have yellow tongue or anything to help fish cables through these tiny gaps you guys have referred to.

cheers

05red vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
there is a grommet behind the drivers seat that feeds the tail lights and fuel pump . it comes up to the right of the fuel tank , if you are looking at the car from the rear. so you can run it from the rear up into the underside of the R/H tail light inside the ute body down towards the fuel tank and back into the cab via that grommet

Putz85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS ute
Tasmaniak
I found a few ways in, but they are a little time consuming and probably wouldnt suit you if your time short
if you take the trim off below the rear window, there are 3 rubber grommets, but to access these in the tub
you need to take off the side tub panel closest to the front of the tub which has a sealant or mastick around it ,
you can see in my pics where the green flooring strip is pushed through the cab and where it comes out in the tub
Would they be in the same spot in a VZ??