Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S V S Alert ?

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
$115 for a diagnosis and clear from holden.(didnt clear it all) was told SVS was from dead battery.
$141 for a new battery. OK SVS is still there. Holden are dumb, so off to ultratune.
$66 for a diagnosis and clear. Said SVS is from oil sensor thingo, bu they cleared the check oil. OK both are still there... :bang: Price check a new sensor and clear faults, ultratune still cheapest.
$160 for a new oil sensor and clear all faults.

= $482

wal's VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
You think Holden would know there own products they sell and how to correctly diagnose the faults and fix them. they just did shot gun repairs hoping that they got it right. Sad that you had to fork out for their misdiagnosis. I can only say one thing about Holden and i have been a holden man all my life and that is "get ur act together" because after all the problems you see people are having i was only thinking the other day that maybe my next car will be something else like Subaru or toyota. Seems they have most problems covered.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What shits me is that the oil pressure switch problem is common and well known - it sure is on this forum.

So why don't the Holden tech's do a bit of "seat of pants" diagnosing, instead of plugging in a bloody computer all the time? Simple - it's all they seem to be able to do these days. I'm self taught and wouldn't know the first thing about operating a Tech 2 and don't think I want to. It would have been very simple to test the switch - unplug the wire and see if it's full of oil....duh!

I'll do my own thing as I always have and keep right away from ill-trained and incompetent "mechanics" whose favourite tool (apart from the obvious one) is the "on " switch to a dignostic machine.

Gees, I hope my "fix" works - if it doesn't I am going to feel SOOOO dumb!

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The switch wasnt leaking oil, it was reading a low voltage or something. I pulled it off as you said, and it wasnt leaking. But as you said, its a common thing to fault, and Holden shouldve picked up on it. Ultratune guessed it over the phone, but couldnt say until i brought it in.

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
$115 for a diagnosis and clear from holden.(didnt clear it all) was told SVS was from dead battery.
$141 for a new battery. OK SVS is still there. Holden are dumb, so off to ultratune.
$66 for a diagnosis and clear. Said SVS is from oil sensor thingo, bu they cleared the check oil. OK both are still there... :bang: Price check a new sensor and clear faults, ultratune still cheapest.
$160 for a new oil sensor and clear all faults.

= $482

not a great way to find the problem.. but its ridiculous that Holden themselves cant find a simple fault.

Sometimes I think laziness has a lot do with it...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Bugger!

Removed the switch (full of oil), cleaned out contacts and wiring connector, fitted a seal into the switch as proposed, turned on ignition, warning still came on.

So, I don't know if I have fixed the problem or not, and will have to get the message cleared at Ultratune next week.

If, after having the message re-set, the warning stays off, I will post the few pics I took during the process.

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
As soon as I replaced the sensor on mine the alert disappeared didnt have to get anything cleared anywhere.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Travy

I turned the ignition to on, without starting the engine, and the warning came up, so I don't even know for sure if the switch was causing the message in the first place. I just asumed it was because it was so full of oil and this problem is so common. I'll have to go to Ultratune for them to diagnose the problem now - it could be something else.

I have to say, having pulled the switch and given it a very thorough cleaning and look over, and finding that it was made in Mexico (where labour is cheap), that this switch is massively overpriced from Holden, even at trade price ($140).

To look at , it isn't worth much more than about ten bucks. And with the number of them that fail, they are obviously crap.

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
Yeah I agree.. its not worth $140+
My sensor was full of oil also, actually leaking on the the road.. (only way i knew it was faulty as at the time i didnt know the SVS fault can mean that sensor is faulty)

stylinsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore sv6 vz 3.6 190kw
hey i got that problem with svs then some times check oil or somethink?
ive got a new oil pressure sencer put in. however i do have a oil pressure gauge too.
i got gauge then that crap happened. how can i fix it? with keeping the gauge
and i got some noice comes and goes like a metal on metal rubing a bit what could it be??