Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So true the worst handling car I've driven.
I wasn’t meaning to single-out the Colorado, mind you! :).
I’m just putting it into the same left-in-the-sun-too-long chum-bucket as all Japanese-style utes, along with all SUV’s/4WD’s.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I wasn’t meaning to single-out the Colorado, mind you! :).
I’m just putting it into the same left-in-the-sun-too-long chum-bucket as all Japanese-style utes, along with all SUV’s/4WD’s.
you should Colorado is a bucket of **** Holden should be ashamed to sell it, drive a ranger or even better a Endura and you have good steering

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
you should Colorado is a bucket of **** Holden should be ashamed to sell it, drive a ranger or even better a Endura and you have good steering
An Endura is a POS compared to the Focus which it’s the same size as but costs 1.5x as much as without being as good at anything (performance, room, fuel economy, safety, apart from ‘ugliness’ you name it & Endura is inferior).
Every other SUV/4WD/dual-cab is rubbish compared to a VE; except VE was a design from real close to 20 years ago!!

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Weird one...To me, those figures don't have any indication of a pull to the left at all.....

I would be surprised if it DIDN'T pull to the left on a slight road fall with those specs. The front camber split is wrong, it should be split with more on the left front to counteract the road fall.

Those settings are rather conservative too, great if you do highway driving but if you drive spiritedly it will hammer the outside front tyre edges. I run about 0.75 deg on the front.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But in saying that, if my last alignment was set to .81° variance in caster favouring LHS and is now .30° favouring LHS could that not be reason for the car tracking to the left. My assumption would be that having +1.0° variance in caster would cause the car to track to the right?

I see where I've made a slight mistake....I am reading the first report posted...The 2nd report I can' actually read properly on my computer...

So I'll stop commenting until I can actually read the correct report

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But in saying that, if my last alignment was set to .81° variance in caster favouring LHS and is now .30° favouring LHS could that not be reason for the car tracking to the left. My assumption would be that having +1.0° variance in caster would cause the car to track to the right?

Whilst I can't actually read the last report, .30 degrees in variance generally is fine not to have a pull to the left as you describe.....It might have a slight drift, on a fairly steep cambered road, but nothing dramatic...

I also have difficulty understanding how the caster could have changed dramatically, when there is no adjustment in this area on this era Commodore. The plot thickens

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I had a look at the List of effected VIN on Page 1 for my Caprice V (2013 MY14) and its not in the list. I had a look at the LOG book and the work sheet from Sunco Holden and the rack was replaced after the original owner said whist driving the car the steel wheel felt like it locked + the warning light came on. Warranty Job Cost GM $1346 Date done was 05/07/2017

blutoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8
hi guy's, the wifes VF SV6 is at the mechanics now, getting the EPS looked at, no steering at all, it gradually went, so i parked it up for a month, now it has no steering at all, maybe 2mm, i put it through the dealership to be fixed, last time the steering went, just after the recall, now 18 months later it's gone again.
local dealerships are fully booked for a month, and they wouldn't/couldn't tell me it i can claim a second fix, after the recall.
so i'll bite the bullet and let my local mechanic fix it, any idea on the cost?, if they only replace the electric side of things, + alignment, if needed?
cheer's TIA

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
hi guy's, the wifes VF SV6 is at the mechanics now, getting the EPS looked at, no steering at all, it gradually went, so i parked it up for a month, now it has no steering at all, maybe 2mm, i put it through the dealership to be fixed, last time the steering went, just after the recall, now 18 months later it's gone again.
local dealerships are fully booked for a month, and they wouldn't/couldn't tell me it i can claim a second fix, after the recall.
so i'll bite the bullet and let my local mechanic fix it, any idea on the cost?, if they only replace the electric side of things, + alignment, if needed?
cheer's TIA

I don't think the steering gear is sold as an electric motor to the public. Maybe the dealer stuffed it while doing the change over. You need to make sure the rubber belt in the steering gear is still attached.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@blutoy, as is, any warranty work should be done expertly and with proficiency while the work itself carries a Holden warranty. This warranty on the warranty work is either 1 or 2 years or the remainder of the vehicle waranty whichever is longer.

Also ACL doesn't define your statutory warranty duration so if a reasonable person would expect steering should work for 10 years, then Holden should cover it under ACL.

Being that the steering is a critical function and working vehicles were recalled, to have your steering fail again 18 months after the recall fix being done is just deplorable and simply unacceptable. Ring Holden Customer Care and demand resolution as your vehicle can't be used as required. If they claim the dealer is busy and can't get to it for a while, dont accept that and either ask for a loaner vehicle to be provided or state that the fault is a major fault under ACL and your choice of remedy is then a full purchase price refund.

Take control of the situation and handle it with HCC/Dealer. Don't cop a poor 3rd party repair because you're cost focused.

If you need, read the Sudden loss of power Steering stickied thread and get a better understanding of the issue and your ACL rights and act on it. Don't ask questions of how much it will cost you to fix Holdens Fukc up.