Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's VN Lexxxcen LS1 T56

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
One colour. Initially just white; the paint on the rest of the car is in near perfect condition. I detail for a living and the guys that work with me say it's the best factory VN paint they've ever seen. Another cut and polish should work wonders on the factory paintwork once the rest is sprayed white.

I do have a quoted $280 worth of fibreglass work to get everything lined up perfectly before painting so it will be like this for a while. My 5L seems to be getting all the attention lately..... :(

I'm thinking of eventually respraying the whole car in a gunmetal grey (black would be great but takes far too much maintenance) like the one on the VEs, or a BMW grey maybe. Ford also have a good one on their BA or BF XR Falcons. Gunmetal metallic with dark charcoal highlights. I think it'd look understated and classy, with the right set of wheels of course..

Thanks for the comments guys, makes me feel a bit better about the old girl :) It is easy to get a little bit down when a project just seems to drag on forever.
Sam

Last edited:

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
check redbook and it sez S1 come out with more torqe because it didnt have bell mouth.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah i know, but it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make. This car never gets full throttle any more, she's just a cruiser. I'm not too big on thrashing my cars nowadays... Basic intake and exhaust modifications mean the factory power figures don't really apply any more anyway.

Point taken though, and well spotted, I hadn't thought to look. Still, it's not a dyno car... Like I said you'll never notice the loss of power or torque but you will notice the smoother idle.

Sam

Just a thought.... I might see about getting 20% tint on this car depending on how my VR goes. I have every intention of tinting the VR to 20% as soon as I've done the rear tyres. $280 of fibreglass work and the VN will be ready for paint..... It's so close, yet so far away. Sucks so many other things to do first...

It's now 11pm and I've just finished putting my car back together, complete with my freshly machined front brake rotors All the shuddering and vibration that used to accompany any sort of braking is gone altogether. As a bonus, since I did all the removal and installation myself, giving the mechanic the rotors and not the whole car, it only cost me $20.

Best $20 I've spent in a long time, braking is no longer scary.

Sam

Automatic is getting torn down and completely rebuilt tomorrow by Alfred Cove Automatics in Myaree with a small shift kit included. Hopefully it's a nicer drive afterwards

Update #1: Picking the car up tomorrow, I hope there's a difference
At least I don't need to worry about the gearbox any time soon!!

Update #2: Gearbox rebuild has made a massive difference to how the car drives. Definitely worth doing. Next thing to sort out is this damn bodykit!

SAAS steering wheel installed yesterday, made a world of difference to the interior. No more brown Lexcen wheel!!

In fact, apart from the build plate, that's the last mark of Toyota in the whole car gone, unless you count the Lexcen instrument cluster.. which nobody can tell at a glance anyway

Have to do the instal of the wheel again though, boss kit is on a bit crooked to allow the wheel to be aligned properly and as a result the indicators don't self-cancel quite as they should.

edit: it's been a while since, can't be bothered. Just turning off the indicators when they're not wanted isn't too hard

I have a transmission cooler on the way for this car, should be on within a week hopefully. Mechanic (Jarad, Street Torque Automotive) is ordering the biggest one he can find (within reason:)). This should look after my freshly rebuilt auto a bit better!!

Also got a quote for a new rear window.. $330 installed. I need one before I get the car tinted.

Sam

Last edited:

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
How meny Ks it stilling on now?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
lol not sure to be honest, odometer is about 30,000km out at a guess (wasn't working for about 12months) so somewhere around the 470,000km mark I think, maybe more. Still hasn't missed a beat.

I should also point out that the car has only broken down once in the 3 years I've owned it.. split the radiator doing donuts a couple of years ago :p and that doesn't count because I could still drive it home. Also seized a water pump just afterwards but I drove that home too; they are the only 2 serious problems I've had, and both were the direct result of silly driving :)

Sam

Last edited:

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
You need photos, new steering wheel looks hot as (believe it or not)

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
lol @ VN... It's still a lexadore at heart man, i can tell :p

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
you are...

Greenfoam's tuning skills will be applied to this car within the next month or so I think.. should wake her up a bit but I mainly want the better cruising economy. Cogez, you should get in contact with him and he can sort out your stupid Calais :p

Also, this afternoon I'm finally picking up the L67 CAI from Holden, I've decided to run a proper intake and not just the hacked up airbox I currently have. Cold air = good for an old motor.

VS cold air intake is in Quietened down the induction rasp a bit, which is what I was hoping for. Note: I did not install this part in the hunt for horsepower, that's the last thing she needs at 470,000km or whatever she's really done by now.. it's on there because cold air induction just makes everything work that little bit better.

Sam

Last edited:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Couple of new pictures, just because I gave the car a quick tidy up and my fiancee Sami decided it was time to update :)
So.....

VP blue conversion is finally done on AT LEAST ONE DOOR!! Also, VY SS pedals as requested, calaiscruzer! Been a while coming, I know...
attachment.php

New steering wheel
attachment.php

Couple of new stickers...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And one to show off the fact that it's about the only VN left with 5 WORKING BRAKE LIGHTS!!
attachment.php

Hope you like them
Sam

Attachments

• 16-04-08_1755.jpg
    16-04-08_1755.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10,562
  • 16-04-08_1752.jpg
    16-04-08_1752.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 10,575
  • 16-04-08_1811.jpg
    16-04-08_1811.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 10,502
  • 16-04-08_1815.jpg
    16-04-08_1815.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 10,437
  • 16-04-08_1833.jpg
    16-04-08_1833.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10,423
  • 16-04-08_1824.jpg
    16-04-08_1824.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 10,706

calaiscruzer

I drink beer, and I vote!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Atlas Grey VN SS
And one to show off the fact that it's about the only VN left with 5 WORKING BRAKE LIGHTS!!

Whoa thats amazing! Must have been a rare option on that model.lol
My top right doesnt work, like most vn's..

Yeah looking good inside, i really like those pedals, they look tough:thumbsup:
they suit the steering wheel also..
maybe just black out ur number plates in pics, safer that way incase some dick wants to lag on you..