Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's VN Lexxxcen LS1 T56

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I don't know anything about these things man :S what's so bad about it? They seem confident it's a decent long term solution after being very unhappy with the previous repair they found. I'm just trusting them to know best to be honest.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Bronze is terrible. It is simply masking the rust, honestly you might aswell just bog over the rust, it'll do the same job. The only way to fix rust properly is to cut it out and replace it with new steel. If the bronze is left there, the rust will come back, no 2 ways about it.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Rear and front windscreens getting done, as well as that spot on the LH door jamb.

383 hatch: I really have no choice but to defer to the panel shop here. I think they provide a lifetime warranty on all repairs, and they know they are going to have this car apart again for metalwork & paint anyway and that I'm keeping the damn thing forever :p so if it does stuff up it's going straight back to them. I think if I walk in and start telling them how to do their job I am going to end up with half assed work, and that's the last thing I need. I might have a chat with them about the pros and cons of each option so before it gets painted up they can readjust the plan if need be. A quick google search unfortunately didn't tell me as much as I hoped about brazing vs mig for rust repairs so I'm really stuck for info.

At least this is more proper than the last repair in the same spot - that really was just bogged over!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Fair enough, you can probably understand i'm just trying to help. It's not really the bronzing itself that is the problem, it's the lack of new steel being put in. I myself would put bronzing over and bogging over in the same catagory. Anyway, if they offer a lifetime warranty, they should have no problems rectifying the work if the need arises.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Fair enough, you can probably understand i'm just trying to help.
I do understand :)
It's not really the bronzing itself that is the problem, it's the lack of new steel being put in. I myself would put bronzing over and bogging over in the same catagory. Anyway, if they offer a lifetime warranty, they should have no problems rectifying the work if the need arises.
Thanks - I'll have a chat with them about it and depending how excited I get I might get it revisited whenever the full round of body mods commence. If their guys are 100% confident in it though I will defer to them and mark it mentally as one of those 'ideally would have done this differently' things.

Cheers though, you've helped me learn something I had no idea about which is always good.

Sam

Last edited:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
OK, time for another mini-update.

Repair work finished up on the rear today. The photographs do not represent any particular milestones, they are just randomly taken whenever the mrs got a break from her work, so don't be alarmed by unfinished bits and pieces.

SAM_2656.jpg

SAM_2657.jpg

SAM_2658.jpg

SAM_2659.jpg

By early this afternoon the work on the rear window area was finalised and primed up. Getting close now!

SAM_2672.jpg

SAM_2671.jpg

SAM_2673.jpg

I'm not really sure why I'm getting so excited about this (really once all is said and done the car will look exactly the same) but it's something I'll know is fixed and that will make me really quite happy :)

The front window was removed as well, to assess the level of work required. They expected quite a bit although only one spot was really visible by just pulling back the external trim/seal. You can see that spot getting some careful attention in this photo.

SAM_2663.jpg

SAM_2662.jpg

That spot turned out to be severe enough to leave a hole....

SAM_2666.jpg

...which didn't last long before it was all plated and welded up

SAM_2670.jpg

Fortunately, very little rust was actually present and that one bit was the only section requiring any form of metal repair. I had expected a far worse scenario in this section, for example:

SAM_2676.jpg

You can see in the foreground of this photo a previous repair. Not sure how long ago that was done but it must have been a while because I've owned this car for 6 years now and I certainly never had it done.

SAM_2665.jpg

You can see in this photo another spot on the top right where a previous repair has been conducted.

SAM_2669.jpg

A few finishing touches before primer was applied.

SAM_2674.jpg

SAM_2675.jpg

This is where we leave it for today - I think some more work was done this afternoon but it will be finished completely and ready for pickup tomorrow evening, just in time for me to give it a quick diff oil change (required, Trutrac warranty) and wheel alignment before the weekend's 2800km round trip to the Gold Coast to pick up my beautiful new car :) (new to me, not new new).

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive gotta do the back window on my vp soon too. got a second hand rubber already cleaned and ready... did you guys spray the phosphoric acid over the rust before all the other stuff? looking good dude. doing a full repaint? or just touchups..