Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans VZ Maloo R8

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
So I know the setup quoted works and fits under the guards mainly from Chris' VU, also doing the figures it sits 2mm further out than the current setup and 6mm further inwards of a stock wheel. 265s are a bit more common cheaper than 275s too, also means I'm not pushing the boundaries on what fits too so nothing should rub regardless of how hard hard I'm driving it. Which I'd way rather than a tight 275 that may rub.
Good looking wagon btw...great colour

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So, small updates. New wheels are on, front shock has been rebuilt after the pothole damage and its back to business as usual. Also this week finally had dash LED's changed to update from the horrible stock green by a mate of mine. Went for white for all the switches and blue for the LCD screens. Totally changed the look of it and wish I'd of done it sooner. If anyone wants their interiors done too the links to his pages are below.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063118725317&ref=py_c
https://www.instagram.com/itii_illumination/?hl=en

Late night tinkering at Shockworks
TCSZCzT.jpg

Footprint of the 265s on the rear
RyPUqeu.jpg

zjsv5o6.jpg

Picking up parts for my Skyline from Resto Country with good company.....
XXunUOg.jpg

Factory green interior
RVssuHN.jpg

Switches all white, with LCD's in blue
zS3SY0K.jpg

Is7wIL7.jpg

inlJS0Z.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
No real exciting updates, just continues to be my daily. Took it up to Chopped the other week and had to get the obligatory photo with the sign in Castlemaine.

3Bha9sj.jpg

4QNmbfb.jpg

Xygf6jG.jpg

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Was that last photo was from when you were grabbing a kebab for dinner on the return trip?

And Castlemaine, just need to sit on a street corner and the cars that go by can be fairly sweet.
Was up there late last year for work stuff and couldn't believe some things that just rolled on by throughout the day.

Reactions: Lex

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
You are correct, kebab joint in Sunbury just near the Supercheap (only landmark I know lol) haha. Yeah its a cool as event, some wild stuff there for sure. Impressive that some of it drove there without getting pulled up. Though I think rules are a bit different out there compared to Melbourne.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If you haven't been check out the Picnic at Hanging rock car show.
Another good one up that way to go for a look-see.

Depending on the night you might've seen a fair bit of stuff rolling past that Kebab joint.
Bit of an unassuming town for cars.
Good Friday they do an event at the soccer club that gets a good turnout too.

The country police are normally fairly good on that front.
As long as you aren't being a muppet or know a car show is on they are often good.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Its one of those events I've been meaning to do for years, but especially not having a proper old car on the road currently its hard to justify heading out there. Hopefully I'll change that soon though and can get back into it and heading to events like that which I haven't done prior.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Not a very exciting update, but I didn't realise until recently that some VY/VZ's came with factory heated seats. With this being a feature I'd like to add when I eventually get the interior redone I found a NOS factory switch on Ebay for not too much. Still need to find a passenger side one in black so if anyone sees one for sale let me know. Will probably be years before it gets used, but atleast I have it for when the time comes.

kuCbLW3.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
A few different little updates, the two front wheels still weren't exactly round after my pothole incident last year, so took them to AK Wheels in Knoxfield and got them re-rolled absolute night and day difference, drives so much nicer again now. Will be getting a trutrac done shortly and then will get it all aligned again to get it all back and driving on rails. Took the chance to give it a service too and change the starter relay too with another genuine item as it was a bit dicky at times.

Unfortunately though this week my alternator died on the way home from the city one night, had to keep it above 1500rpm to keep the voltage up. But I guess 20 years from a factory alternator is decent really. I bought another genuine item so I can hopefully get another 20 years. Unfortunately though the changing process is far more involved than i assumed, if you have to do one, understand the quickest and only way to get it out is to remove the fan shroud as one so all the bolts and the alternartor itself can actually be removed. GM Part number is shown below for anyones reference or the Mitsubishi number is A003TG1581. From what I've read its the voltage regulator which dies in these and seems consistant with the intermittant cluster dramas I'd be having of recent times, so the intention is to keep the old alternator and replace the regulator and keep as a spare, especially seeing as the new one was $610.

Doesn't look like much but this gave the steering a massive wobble.
bQWvCpq.jpg

Air filter cleaned and re oiled
Z55UtQm.jpg

opR2IAY.jpg

Part numbers for genuine Tyco starter relay
IWbCJt5.jpg

Far more parts required removing that I'd expected, Duspeed, top rad hose, coolant and fan/shroud.
CKVyTnW.jpg

1ehbwkK.jpg

Old vs new
vG69hlI.jpg

Before & after, mounting bolts given a quick clean up with the wire brush on the grinder
v70L76E.jpg

D0KU6Xp.jpg

New back in place
pivDwwC.jpg