Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SatNav for HOLDEN VF Commodore | version 5 | 2013 – 2017 | 8″ inch (Kayhan Audio)

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I'd be interested to see what Android it's running, can you go to the settings and find the details?
Also my head unit is a joying... (all 'high end' ones are one of 4 joying chips) Review of it in forum section

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Series 1 UTE
The screen is the same.
When i mentioned to kayhan that the reflection was horrible making it impossible to see it on sunny days and they said thats your problem it looks like they ignored the input.

If you can find an anti glare screen protector it will fix the problem.

When they contact you in a few weeks to have you write 3 positive reviews for a free product tell them you want that sound activation kit for it.
Ok cannot test that glare at the moment with it being winter. Hopefully won't have that issue. I wil take a photo if we do get a sunny day.

Will take a photo of the android detils also.

I don't know why they don't provide this sound activation kit with the head unit. Is it some sort of harness that I have to connect everything up again?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok cannot test that glare at the moment with it being winter. Hopefully won't have that issue. I wil take a photo if we do get a sunny day.

Will take a photo of the android detils also.

I don't know why they don't provide this sound activation kit with the head unit. Is it some sort of harness that I have to connect everything up again?

i can see its the same screen module in your pictures and the reflection will look like this if you have light clothing on and the sun is shining onto it, its mostly an issue in the morning and evening when the sun is lower in the sky and shines through the front window.
20190819-090608.jpg

in the gen 1 units they never had the sound activation kit, it was all built in and worked.
the only "addon" kit they had back then was the DAB+ module

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
One more issue to fix and that the rear subwoofers not working. Been told I need to connect an amp trigger wire, so does anyone know what you call the metal pins on the connectors? Online it says locks.

received_668344081361696.jpeg

20230721_181910.jpg

20230721_181926.jpg

I have to connect it between yellow and green wire.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
pretty silly that they left out the wire for one of the common reasons for aftermarket installs which is an amp but it is expected with kayhan.

you should be able to use this type of male pin, crimp it to the wire then plug the plug into the unit then slide the pin+wire into the hole and it should be fine.
i say should because i am only looking at pictures and finding something that you will find in an auto store today, it might not work at all.

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply and help. I will go to Jaycar today.

I did a photo of the screen with sunlight. It has a refection to it that is a bit annoying, but the glare is not as bad as your picture.

I am wondering if you have the non IPS display screen?

20230722_074952.jpg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks for the reply and help. I will go to Jaycar today.

I did a photo of the screen with sunlight. It has a refection to it that is a bit annoying, but the glare is not as bad as your picture.

I am wondering if you have the non IPS display screen?

its the same screen as the gen 1 units.

the problem is the mirror like finish on the screen glass not the lcd technology of the screen.
there is no glare removal film which is why in the summer you will find at certain times the reverse cam/nav etc will be impossible to see.
if you look at the original mylink screen you will see it has a matte finish, that is a piece of flim on the glass that solves the glare issue.

if/when it drives you nuts look online for "anti glare" matte screen protectors for ipads, you can get one for an 11in ipad and cut it to size, remove the screen from vehicle and apply it and it will reduce the reflection.
lots of glass screen devices have the same problem which is why they sell the anti glare product but the main difference with a tablet compared to an indash screen is you can tilt the tablet to see it better.

this was the comparison of the 2 units, pretty much weeks apart with similar lighting conditions at about the same time of day when i was heading to work.
i think my wife even had the same top on lol but i was in hivis both times, the matte finish makes a pretty big difference.

20191002-090442.jpg

20190819-090608.jpg

Last edited:

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally, Finally, Finally, I have sorted the subwoofer connector. I must have visited 7 shops and eventually, a car audio shop gave me an old harness that I used to custom-make or fudge together a connector pin. For some reason, there is a strange audio interference that happens for 5 seconds when you start the music. It doesn't happen all the time thankfully.

Thankyou everyone for your support.

Things I like about the head unit:

-Being able to install any apps
-sat nav that's always up to date
- Youtube Music and YouTube Videos
- Google Assistant voice activation with navigation and requests
- Music playback and I don't have to replace the factory speakers.
- The screen is IPS, with some reflection that can be a bit annoying (I will get a glare screen protector if It bothers me)
- You can use factory steering wheel controls
- Being able to use factory reverse camera (quality is ok)
- Factory parking sensors work
- Lane departure warning works
- Emergency stop warning looks like it works (not 100% sure).
- Possibility of using the Xforce Varex Bluetooth controller (looks like it can work)
- Aircon display of what is on at the moment and what is off including aircon dials on screen.
-Lots of options in the menu to customize the experience.
-I won't have to change the speakers as the head unit has improved the audio and music experience.

Things that could be improved/don't like/don't work:

- The reflection of the screen is a bit annoying on sunny days
- Why o Why did they not include the amp trigger wire already pre-made into the wire harness.
- The Head Up Display does not show you navigation arrows anymore (Not a huge show stopper).
- The Head Up Display won't show you the speed of the road anymore (It was out of date anyway).
- A lot of fiddling with the menu settings, not everything was obvious.

Fudged together a connector pin:
20230722_150203.jpg

The support from Kayhan Audio was ok and not as bad as I thought. They answered all my questions and helped me along the way.

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Everything working now, which is good. However, there is a strange interference or sounding like something not grounded.

I've recorded it and the strange thing is it only happens in certain areas that I drive.

Last edited:

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
whats the startup time like? similar to factory?