Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SatNav for HOLDEN VF Commodore | version 5 | 2013 – 2017 | 8″ inch (Kayhan Audio)

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Series 1 UTE
vf.jpg

Pending Delivery of this head unit for my SSV UTE. I thought I would give me feedback on what I think about it. My local installer said It wasn't the best choice to go for as it won't last or I will lose all the factory features of the Holden VF Commodore.

Well someone going to have to take one for the team :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
View attachment 254484
Pending Delivery of this head unit for my SSV UTE. I thought I would give me feedback on what I think about it. My local installer said It wasn't the best choice to go for as it won't last or I will lose all the factory features of the Holden VF Commodore.

Well someone going to have to take one for the team :)

lets hope you have a better run at it, i found it to be pretty bad overall.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You should have done a search on the VE/VF forums before you put your money down. There are a number of posts (mostly unfavourable) about Kayhan and other Satnav units for the VF.

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
I saw the reviews and it seems to be on previous versions of the head unit around 2019-2020.

If I do find that the head unit is that bad I will get returned.

I've bought head units from Joying and back when they only had 2G-4G ram and was slow head units.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
most of the issues i had were software issues but the glare/reflection on the screen was a killer.

personally i think from "kayhan" the k-play box would be better for the vf as it retains the factory headunit but adds AA/CP.
it looks like they are only supported via wire but something like aawireless or the carplay equivalent would make it wireless.

in my experience wireless android auto pretty much removes the need for a headunit with an inbuilt os unless you forget your phone.
the navigation is always good, things like spotify are always there because the phone is always connected.
the google voice control is great for loading navigation, making calls, texting etc.

i used to be a big fan of the indash systems wince/android but now i would rather wireless android auto.

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will let you all know, so you don't have to put any money down.

Don't think it's going to be as bad as everyone thinks. The only other options is Kenwood or other pioneer head units or android auto and apple car play integration. I personally don't like them as you end up using your phone.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I will let you all know, so you don't have to put any money down.

Don't think it's going to be as bad as everyone thinks. The only other options is Kenwood or other pioneer head units or android auto and apple car play integration. I personally don't like them as you end up using your phone.
i'm with stooge, if you have a wireless setup your phone stays in your pocket, no need to use it.
I am still interested in your experience with the Kayhan though, the more options the better. I was happy to go with the floating screen option simply because i wanted a bigger screen and AA. I may even go the 11" option soon as my eyes aren't as good as they were.

SS Chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I've finally got the head unit and spent the evening installing it. Surprisingly good and I was dreading I was going to get something that was not worth the money I paid.

I've had a few head units over the years and my previous brand was Joying a Chinese brand that I imported. Going from 2GB to 4GB and then to 8GB 11.3-inch display was great attention to my Toyota 86. Tried to find a compatible Joying head unit, but there was no such thing for the Holden Commodore VF SSV.

My first impression of the box was it was quite heavy and gave me a bit of confidence that I had bought something good. I should have left it for the weekend by doing it in the dark, but couldn't wait.

The specs look good, apart from Ultra HD IPS....its 1080p resolution to be clear.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 214802.png

20230718_195827.jpg

Whats inside the kit..

20230718_200054.jpg

Install, make sure you mask off the area that you can damage..

20230720_192650.jpg

When removing the factory head unit take your time. A fresh set of cable clips will be difficult and you will need crocodile pliers to remove them.

20230718_204124.jpg

Your dash will look something like this when it's all out (take your time)

20230718_205315.jpg

The head unit will look like this, it's basically where the heart of the unit is driven from.

20230719_211942.jpg

It
will look like this when all is installed. Looks factory setup, which I like. I did have a problem with the screen not working as in the touch interface. I just pulled the power out from the head unit and plugged it back in to reset it.

20230720_192740.jpg

You can install any app you want onto the head unit.

20230720_193044.jpg

The steering wheel controls can be used to enable Google Assistant. Pressing the phone answer button triggers google assistant and then you can say anything like "what is the weather like" etc.

20230720_193057.jpg

I did have trouble getting the microphone to work, so I did a lot of looking around the menus and then enabling the microphone permissions for each app before finally doing a soft restart of the head unit. You also have to enable it in your Google account under assistant settings.

The other main issue I have at the moment is the rear factory subwoofers are not working. Kayhan Audio mention a premium sound activation kit, so I think what is happening is the factory amp is not being triggered to turn on. I have only just started to get a full story of what I can do about it since their website was offline for two days.

A small issue I am also facing is the air con vent display is not working on the display screen. It was working, but after an update that I did from the head unit settings, it seems to have stopped working. I am in discussion with Kayhan Audio about this.

My overall impression is 4 out of 5 stars for the benefits it brings, but the issues I faced to get to work up until now. This is not a hard install it's just that it can take at least half of a day or more to make sure the cables and wires are connected to the correct location. I had cut into one cable and that was the FM amp power for the radio to be able powered (blue cable). I didn't do any soldering and just twisted the wires together and wrapped them with tape.

Here are the basic and in-depth videos I followed:

Quick install video:

More in-depth video steps

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The screen is the same.
When i mentioned to kayhan that the reflection was horrible making it impossible to see it on sunny days and they said thats your problem it looks like they ignored the input.

If you can find an anti glare screen protector it will fix the problem.

When they contact you in a few weeks to have you write 3 positive reviews for a free product tell them you want that sound activation kit for it.