Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Saving this old building

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Bloody awesome you save that, looks amazing. Pity it's not a workshop!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
So I've lived at this address for over five years now, and on the property is an old basalt rock building (some may refer to it as blue stone,) which is over a hundred years old, it was used as a farm building of sorts and apparently the family lived in it up until such time they built the house we now live in.
As you can see by the Photo it was in such a poor state, so I decided to do something about it.
My first job was to re-point the stone work. Being a bricklayer amongst other things, (Yes I've had lots of jobs) I was conscious of using a lime and sand aggregate mortar, knowing that a cement based mortar is damaging.
You see, cement mortar locks in moisture and doesn't allow the stone work to breath.
Attached is a before and after pic.
Original state of building

Attachments

• PSX_20220109_082423.jpg
    PSX_20220109_082423.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 153

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Great job. You obviously put a lot of work into that. Respect ✊
Thanks Shangus. Yes it was quite a challenge, and doing it all myself wasn’t easy. I’m happy to have saved the building from basically falling down. Just repointing it and putting a new roof on has really stopped the weather from doing a lot more damage to it.
You see so many of these old stone farm buildings just left to rot. It’s a shame when you think about how hard it would have been to build them.

Shangus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Magnum, VFII CalaisV, VEII SV6, VZ X6 tonner
Thanks Shangus. Yes it was quite a challenge, and doing it all myself wasn’t easy. I’m happy to have saved the building from basically falling down. Just repointing it and putting a new roof on has really stopped the weather from doing a lot more damage to it.
You see so many of these old stone farm buildings just left to rot. It’s a shame when you think about how hard it would have been to build them.
What’s the next project, is there an old shearing shed on your property that could do with a spruce up?