Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Say one thing, do another: 5 years support, not 10...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They just started advertising Holden NZ final sale but I could swear they were offering only 3 years free servicing. TBH, I really can't see many Holden dealers staying open to just service cars.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They just started advertising Holden NZ final sale but I could swear they were offering only 3 years free servicing. TBH, I really can't see many Holden dealers staying open to just service cars.
No, but there'd be a lot of dealers trying to expand the other brands they sell, and still servicing those other brands so they'll still have a mechanic's workshop. The couple of times I've been into the near-ish Holden dealer for recalls, I've been the only Holden customer among the Hyundai majority.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Well it means they are willing to do 5 year contract with the existing dealers...
Additional 5 could be through independant or other chain workshops...
Correct... Dealer franchise agreements were always for a 5 year period at a time.... Doesn't (necessarily) mean they won't still offer parts/support for 10 years....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Correct... Dealer franchise agreements were always for a 5 year period at a time.... Doesn't (necessarily) mean they won't still offer parts/support for 10 years....
The rub is some dealers still have contracts with a few years to run. And what Holden is offering is a 5 year contract from the announcement date which means 2025.

So for those dealers with say 3 years left on their current contract, they are only being given an extra 2 years of what can only be described as a low level of certainty...

I’d also be peeved at such.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The rub is some dealers still have contracts with a few years to run. And what Holden is offering is a 5 year contract from the announcement date which means 2025.

So for those dealers with say 3 years left on their current contract, they are only being given an extra 2 years of what can only be described as a low level of certainty...

Not planning to go tobthe dealer any more anyway...
Still have more than a year of warranty left so will just go to my local guy for service...

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD

Not saying the dealers shouldn't be peeved, just saying that the gist of the article is typical of Josh Dowling. A 5 year term on a dealer service agreement does not (necessarily) equate to only 5 years of support from GM. For me, it means that after 5 years, they will review agreements, with probably less dealers being required before offering fresh 5 year agreements.

It makes sense that in 5 years time, there will be less Holdens on the road, so less service agents required.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't say much for the life expectancy of the ZB.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not saying the dealers shouldn't be peeved, just saying that the gist of the article is typical of Josh Dowling. A 5 year term on a dealer service agreement does not (necessarily) equate to only 5 years of support from GM. For me, it means that after 5 years, they will review agreements, with probably less dealers being required before offering fresh 5 year agreements.

It makes sense that in 5 years time, there will be less Holdens on the road, so less service agents required.
Understand what you are saying but since many dealers are independent of each other, presumably their existing contracts would have been signed at differing times as they entered the industry and therefore ending at differing times (be they 5 year contracts).

GM/Holden should honour their current contracts but if they want to terminate them, then they should abide by the terms and abide by the clauses. But they seem to be wanting to bundle the contract termination with new contract negotiation... sounds a lot like a “I want to do a deal for you” salesman’s pitch which we all know is code for “I want to screw you”.

GM wanting all contract terms to line up with the same contact end dates can only be for later leverage issues so they can again bully the dealers and screw them over...

The issue of how our cars will be maintained is somewhat seperate to the business issues between dealers and a bully of a US Corp.

As a Holden Motorsports owner, I absolutely don’t feel confident that any injector issues or other poorly designed or built components will be addressed under warranty as they were for some owners even few months ago...

If GM is screwing Holden dealers, we owners are next in line :rolleyes: