Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scariest car you've ever been in?

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Just thought this might be good for a giggle...What is the most frightening car you’ve been in?

Not the most powerful, not the fastest, or whatever, but the worst excuse for a car which has put the fear of god into you?

For me, it was a mates girlfriends car…a mid-eighties Suzuki HandiVan, with the big block 800cc three cylinder engine. This pitiful vehicle, I should add, was almost new, so don’t think I am talking about a worn-out bucket which was ready for the scrap yard. It had, for a start, the wonder of being one of the last vehicles available new in this country with cross-ply tyres…at any cornering speeds above walking pace, you could feel the tyres rolling on the rims, and in the wet it was truly scary. That is, what feel there was coming back through what laughably passed for the “steering”. It was gutless, and lived up to all the old clichés about not pulling the skin off a rice pudding. God knows how many, or more precisely, how few horsepower it had…but I am betting a 50cc scooter could drag it off handily from the lights. The gearshift had all the subtlety and feel of stirring a Milo tin full of gravel with a wooden spoon, and I don’t think it even had synchro on first…maybe not second either, from the crunching that would emanate from up front on anything but pristine gear changes. The dash was blessed with plastic which would not pass quality control on the production line of the shittyist Korean toy cars, and it cracked and warped up nicely after a few central Queensland summers. The rest of the interior was outfitted in finest hard brown vinyl, which baked your backside on anything but the coolest days. Another worrying part is that this was not a bottom-of-the-range model…it had the up-spec 800cc engine, and a few options such as a baby seat hook, and metallic paint…ooooooh…happily no-one ticked the air conditioning option box, as it had little enough power already without lumbering it with air-con.

It ended it’s life as it so richly deserved, in a wreckers yard, after having proved it could beat Alfa Romeo’s of the era in one respect…it rusted like hell as soon as the weather even looked like turning damp…

An honourable mention must go to my late uncles mid-seventies Valiant station wagon. He bought it new, and while I love Valiants, this thing was a pearler…you see, Valiant, alone amongst Australian car makers, was of the firm belief that while the customer might be an idiot, foolish, totally lacking any knowledge about cars and what makes them pleasant to drive, but while he may have been all these things, the “customer was always right”…
So my uncle actually ordered this thing on purpose with baby-cack-yellow paint (as close as you can get to Caterpillar Bulldozer paint as possible I reckon), a brown vinyl roof, and a white interior…
The dealership must have just sat back and let him tick whatever and wherever he liked, and agreed to it happily…the customer is always right, remember? A 360 cube V8? Hey, go for it pal. Non-power-assisted drum brakes? Sure buddy…it’ll save a few bucks over these new-fangled discs anyway. Towing package with heavier radiator? Hey, who needs it…so what if you’re buying the car with the stated purpose of towing a 22 foot dual-axle Viscount van up the Queensland coast in the middle of summer…we don’t have to watch you sit frustrated the other side of Bowen in 36 degree heat with steam pouring out of it. Handling package? Why bother…my uncle was an ex-sailor on a cargo ship, so he was used to the wallowing, oil-tanker-like ride quality. Hey, don’t bother ticking the box for those ROH mags wheels or the five spoke pressed steel “sports wheels”…just stick with the skinny steel wheels…that’ll help keep it on the road.
That damn car had torque alright, but, as with all Valiant V8’s (except the sweet little rare-to-Australia 340 cube V8) they were glorified truck motors, and a decent 2 barrel 265 Hemi six cylinder would piss all over it for acceleration and outright power. It drank like a fish and towing the huge van would be lucky to crack 10 to 12 miles per gallon, and not much more around the city streets. After a few years, even a present we gave him of a professional detail wouldn’t return the white interior to it’s as new shine…it sorta stayed grey…
Nice roomy car, and nothing that couldn’t have been fixed by fitting gas shocks, sway bars, heavier torque rods in the front, a few extra leaves at the rear, bigger radiator, turf the 360 V8 and put in a manual-box 265 Hemi 2-barrel, and repaint it. In fact, that is what my nephew did when the old guy passed on and inherited it! Now it is a great car.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
2 quick ones for you:
friends old skyline, not the car, the driver. i think this guy could make any car scary.

workmates VAN (yes another van) this thing scared me because it is a deathtrap. i couldnt get my seatbelt to work. i could almost feel the driveshaft banging against the floor, there was a nasty crack on the screen infront of me. the rego sticker wasnt in date - yet i am assured it is registered - the spiders freaked me out and then he tells me he doesnt think the brakes are 'all that good'
i lived. mind it it was only a 4k trip and we didnt get over 80. still......

CommodoreChick

Resident Female Bevan
Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK
Yeah probably a skyline, not so much the car... cos i've been in heaps of quicker cars, but the driver was pissed off his tits swerving all over the highway at 180km :w00t:

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Scariest for me, yes a Bongo van.. mates dad was a cleaner and this thing only had seats in the front so we were left to 'float' around in the back as he drove to work.. crap brakes, no power and handled like a balloon full of porridge. My mates dad drove it like he was qualifying...

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
my 1979 VB Commodore paddock basher - no dash, no seats (we sat on milk crates), no interior, doors welded shut, no seatbelts, no bonnet, no roof (chopped off at the windscreen with an oxy) nothing to mention of a roadworthy tyre to be seen....
shaker can spray painted every known colour in auto paint history with F**K YOU here ... I LOVE POOTANG there .. and general graffiti all over.

and i had to go down to the shops and get some bread :thumbsup:
white knuckles on the vicegrip steering wheel all the way

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hmm, id say my mates Eh, this thing speed wobbles so bad you cant go over 60, when you do, it is scary as hell.

But i guess also id have to say my old RX2 coupe, turboed 13b was quick as hell but i seemed more intent on going faster and faster and forgetting that maybe i had to stop at times.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
The scariest ride I have ever had as in a suzuki mighty boy a mate bought to do a 1.6L 4AGE conversion on. I was driving it back to his place down the highway flat out at 80km/hr when a truck went past me like I was standing still.
Needless to say the wind turbulence cased by the truck was enough to suck the might boy into the same lane as the truck. It got all out of shape I managed to pull it straight and promply took the next exit off the freeway and stuck to suburban roads :)

After the 100kw 4 cyl conversion man was it a pocket rocket :)

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
I win!

The scariest ride I have ever had....hehehehehe....

I modded the **** out of a 84 GQ Patrol.
Engine:
350 chev fully rebuilt, wild cam (all the other shite) 450 Bhp
Trans: GQ Diesel 5 spd
Diff: Std
Wheels: 31" Kumo all terrains ( prob 2yrs old)
Sus: 2inch lift
Body (slightly rusty) 2inch lift
interior STD
Story:
I built it in ACT, and had to bring it to Sydney while driving along the road at 110klm /hr at night, a WRX "flys" past.
So after finding 4th I floored it, the speedo only goes to 160. So it went past that (and found 5th), past the high beam light and back to 20 klm / hr.
We flew past the WRX with the horn on and fingers up.
Surprisingly it held together. we then slowed a little to let the wrx guy catch up and then dragged him off from a rolling 130klm/hr.
It felt good to drive at that speed, but, thats not the scary part.
The scary part is I was driving it at 70 (in an 80 zone) when I got it to sydney (some 40 mins later) and the gearbox blew up and locked both wheels which, for my 3 other passengers, was very scary.

sully

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
My brother had a sigma which while road registered, shouldn't have been... everything in that car was rooted, especially the suspension and bald tires... the suspension was so bad the car never actually settled down after acceleration/braking or cornering and the tires had no grip at all... i drove the thing at 20-30 kph stopped the car got out and left it about 200m from the driveway it was that unsafe... took him for a drive in a normal car and he never went back...he thought all old cars were that bad... i think he owes me his life... :p

H

holden twinkle toes

would have to be too years ago in a 4x4 went out driving in the brindis the driver thought he was all that that he went around a corner his a bank ment fliped the car 3 times we stoped up side down. found out 2 days l8r i was preg with my little girl. havent seen the driver since