Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scat rods

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
2 more pics...

Attachments

• Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 141

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the side with the bigger gouge will be to clearance for the rod as it travels up and down with the rotation of the crank. I hope I'm right on this but i'm going to call the larger gouge should be on the inside. I would like to hear other peoples opinion on this cough rvk355 cough.
My engine building experience only relates to using standard piston (which are easy cause they got the notch in them :p) i've built plenty of engines but never any with forgies

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
well i thought the bigger gouge was just part of the machinig process when the holes for the pin were drilled... it doesn't seem big enough to be a clearance purpose to me, but you guys are the ones with experience so im trusting someone has come across these...
pub and rvk you both hav been a big help already thanx again.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
well i thought the bigger gouge was just part of the machinig process when the holes for the pin were drilled... it doesn't seem big enough to be a clearance purpose to me, but you guys are the ones with experience so im trusting someone has come across these...

ok im confused are you talking about the gouge where the pin goes through?
If you are I'm sorry i got confused i though you meant on the inside of the piston where the rod would pivot.

Try putting a rod on one the pivot it with your hands (dont let the rods hit side walls) see how much clearance you have on the rod around the pin. this should give a fair i dea of which way they go

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont

Yep i understand what you mean now what i said in the post i quoted before would be related to the underside of the piston where that lump your are talking about is

Sorry for the misunderstanding

the side with the bigger gouge will be to clearance for the rod as it travels up and down with the rotation of the crank. I hope I'm right on this but i'm going to call the larger gouge should be on the inside. I would like to hear other peoples opinion on this cough rvk355 cough.
My engine building experience only relates to using standard piston (which are easy cause they got the notch in them :p) i've built plenty of engines but never any with forgies

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
hehe no wories that is a bit confusing lol... kool i'll giv it a try in the nxt couple of days coz the parts are at a mates house... thinking its made for clearance purposes wouldn't the raised section face outwards hhmmmmmmm, we'll soon find out... cheers

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yes it might face outwards but i was thinking it might put to much weight on the outside skirts of the piston.
Hopefully rvk355 will give us a better idea

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
good point... how f****** hard is it for manufacturers to put a piece of paper in the box to specify correct installation, especially with critical parts like rods and pistons, if they did my engine would hav almost been ready instead of chasing answers like a headless chook lol
any ways thanx again pub

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I've done a few using acl and mahle pistons both of them came with instruction even how to to do the rings gap and piston to bore clearances. You think that forged pistons would have the same instructions

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
since they are a round dish top piston, it wont really matter which way around they go, and the underside should be the same which ever way you install them, some chev pistons actually come with 4 valve reliefs so it dosnt matter which way around they go. there shouldnt be a offset or anything and the under side should clear the counter weight of the crank.

those pistons are full floating, are the scat rods bronze bushed for floating pins, if so just check the fit with the gudjion pin in the rod, they should slide in and out very niecely (.0008" clerance fit).

hope this helps.