Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

school report cards

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
From a person in year 10.....
id have to say garth that report sounds like a load of b/s our school who tries to make us look all academic by making us wear blazers dosn't have stupid reports like that....... yet.

MBS206 said:
I have to 100% agree here.

You couldn't pay me 150K a year to teach! The kids these days are damn little shits.

definitely spot on there!!!!!!!! especially casuals.
I have been in classes or seen classes that have made casuals run out of the room crying because kids are absolute little shits.

as for people who load the education systems problems onto teachers i have to say get into school for a week and you will see how frustrated teachers are about the system.
There are numerous teachers at my school who relate to the kids and all of the kids respect that and work gets done (and everyones happy), but on the other side there are teachers who don't give a rats ass about students.

btw im going to a catholic school

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
also i dont particularly want to do years 11 or 12 id much prefer to get an apprenticeship as a sparky or auto elec etc.
even with all the hype about it easier to get apprenticeship now is a load of bs. (you try finding one)
its just as hard to find employer thats willing to take on someone without hsc.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
DF_Media said:
No one said it was an easy course but surely the proof of the pudding is in the eating and its a FACT that scores for teaching are among the lowest of any courses to get into and kids FAIL exams that they would have been expected to pass previously.

As I studied both law and commerce myself I dont need to do some teaching degree to justify myself to you.

I notice that you talk about what your other half had to do to pass her course but that doesnt mean she knows how to teach for **** so live with being pissed off.

And yes society is to blame because they have allowed the system which is supposedly there to create a future degenerate into something which tells kids they dont have to listen to their parents or anyone else and that wants to teach kids about things like sex education but fail them on every other level then step back like people like yourself and say its not their fault its societies fault .. boo hoo

Ahhh, dude, entrance scores for uni degrees are based primarily on demand. The main reason teaching's entry score is so low is because no one wants to do it. By the look of that curriculum Garth posted I'm honestly not surprised either, the world has truly gone mad. Looking back, it was well on its way to the shithouse 10 or so years ago when i went through. Minux makes a good point about discipline as well, hell when I was in year 6, one of the other kids actually broke a teachers nose! No ****! what do ya think happened to him? He was suspended for three days. It's insane that this sorta **** can happen, parents shoulda been shot.

Andy seems to have decoded that mess for Garth fairly well, although a couple of things seriously concern me.

"understanding local and global economic forces" - WTF!? That's primary school material? whats next? How to cook the books Enron style 101?

"living in and preparing for diverse family relationships" - That's just disturbing, It's the responsibility of schools to teach kids how to deal with their parents splitting up/having two mum's/two dad's? Dammit, no wonder no one wants to be a teacher, that's the biggest crock I've ever heard.

"understanding the historical foundation of social movements and civic institutions" - I'm guessing that this is just history, for example I remember studying the Eureka stockade in primary school.

AAAAAHHH, now I'm all irritated, gotta find the education minister and slap them with a fish or maybe just go have another brewski. :drink: Just out of curiosity Garth, How did the little one go on the report anyway? Or don't they give a grade anymore?

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
Shounak said:
These reports are bullshit. Most of the judgements the teachers make are too arbtitrary. Kids go to school to learn, that's what teachers should judge. Not things like "Care of others property" or "Preparing for Diverse relationships"..

Teachers should tell parents how their kids are going academically, both ordinally and cardinally. Teachers are there to teach, not be parents..

Of course, in extreme cases the teacher should bring the childs behaviour(s) to the attention of the parent. But usually, if the parents don't know, they probably don't even care and that's when DHS or someone similar should be notified.

minux said:
That is so full of ****. My other half is a teacher, i seen what she did to pass with high distinction, it isnt an easy course.
The problem with teaching today is teachers CANNOT enforce discipline. They cannot do a thing, hell they can get into a trouble for breaking up 2 kids fighting.

I say to people like you, go out and do it yourself and understand what **** they have to go through.

People liek you piss me the hell off. Blame society for teaching problems of today, not the large group of teachers who cherish their job and do the best they can in a ****ed up society.

Oh and for the record, speak to even private school teachers about the changes over the past 15 years. My grandmother(principle of a highly reputable private school for 20 years) will tell you this herself.

Oh and lastly, it is like EVERY OTHER INDUSTRY there is bad apples in everything peopl do.

The problem is the curriculum, not nescessarily the teachers... My mum is a teacher and same thing, works her ass off to keep up to date... I"m 25 now, and during school my last spelling test was in grade 8... I failed grade 12 english after a A- - B+ average every years beforehand, and why? Because in grade 12, for the entire year, we did Shakespeare for 6 months and "a man for all seasons" for the following 6... Not a single thing about nouns, adverbs, adjectives, verbs Pronouns etc was mentioned past year 8... Most of my peer group do not even know what these words mean!

To get a distintion in a national english competition in the same year I failed the same subject based on school curriculum, should NOT be possible, never mind an A in the QCS test...

And Shounak, people don't get taught ENOUGH of these things... Or not sustained through later years... I've worked with long term unemployed for the past 5 years, case managing disadvantaged people trying to get them gainfully employed... And the basic life skills are just things they've never been taught... fu.ck I had to learn the hard way myself, racking up[ stupid debt, not paying bills on time, getting basically domesticated...

Budgeting, Job expectations, Goal setting, persistence, things like this HAVE to be introduced to australian schooling...

I have a whole crapload of people on my current caseload at the moment that have degrees and diploma's and they aint working either... Some of my clients that have dropped out in yr 7,8 or 9 have been able to land jobs a lot easier and quicker than people with the quals... It all comes down to the personality and perserverance of the person... Because they KNOW they have to start from the bottom and work their way up they do so, and witihn a couple years, proven themselves and getting better money, higher position, and possibly in-house training...

But then I get people that have, yay, done a 2 or 3 year uni degree, and then have had instilled, the expectation, that they will get into a kick ass job with top **** money, and will then refuse for quite some time to take on ANY job they percieve to be "below" them... They then come and see me after 12 months looking for "their" job and I get them, cleaning, factory or taxi driving work... (Vast generalisation there though...) As a general rule though, I tend to steer people away from Bach Arts, IT, Marketing, PR, Beauty therapy etc type studies... Bugger all jobs unless you have a placement arranged BEFORE completion of said course...

Let fly with the flames guys and girls, but all observations made over 5 years working this industry... Some teachers bugger it up for people (ie: My english teacher was a 4 foot high indian twat that could barely seak english...) but I'm positive the curriculum is the main thing failing our current generation...

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Shounak said:
Are you kidding me?? That is amongst one of the hardest courses there is..

Why else would you need to be in the top 0.5% of the state just to do the course. And then you're competing with the top 0.5% whilst you're doing the course..

I've got a lot of mates doing CommLaw and I can tell you it is very very effing hard.. And to get articles afterwards at a reputable firm, you need a Distinction average, competing amongst the best..

Don't sneer at a course like that mate..

Btw, to be a teacher I think the enter requirement is about 60-70, possibly lower.. It's a bit different to a course where you need 99.5 to do..

Apparently law is quite difficult, lots of reading and loooooong assignments, that's for sure. You're right in saying that law students tend to be very bright and competitve, but you seem to have missed the fact that as a result of this, law tends to attract a shall we say, interesting type of person. They tend to be highly opinionated usually towards one extreme or another and quite often come off as being arrogant and self important, somewhat like our friend over here, Mr. DF_Media.

Minux definitiely has a point, in that different people will find different things easy. Some people at uni really struggle with stuff that others find very basic and then next semester, a different set of courses some of the people who were struggling before are going fine!

I reckon there's one thing we can all agree on though, the education system really has gone to **** over the last decade or so.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
what a load of bullshit this is, the govt spend **** loads on advertising the new report cards and they came up with that crap ROFL this is a joke.

some of the things listed in it i would expect from a yr9 student not a grade 2 student.

what a load

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
there there troy *pats troy on the head, and hands him a big multicoloured lollypop* happy now? :p

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Getting back to the topic... I'm a full time high school music teacher and teach years 7 up to HSC level. I can tell you from my own experience that these 'new' reporting procedures are a joke. We're told to assess kids on set outcomes. When it comes time for reports we have a list of those outcomes and we give a grading on each outcome which obviously shows at what level the student achieved that outcome. Usually a 5 - 1 or A - E. Each school varies from the other but the process is pretty much the same. It's not the teachers fault the reports are like this. If you want someone to blame take it up with board of studies or Dept of Ed. Also every states education dept runs differently from others. When you go and fill up with petrol do you blame the attendant behind the cash register for the high prices?!?! NO! So those that blame teachers, go and get your facts straight. We're forced to report like this! We don't get a choice. I began teaching at the end of 2001 and the system has changed so much in that short amount of time. It's getting more and more complicated with assessment and reporting. Face to face teaching is only one half of our job.

Garth said:
bring back the maths, english and science, screw doing business studies, who cares about art, what's the point of agricutural studies, (cows go moo, you eat them, and make poo) technology studies, yeah, learn where technology is heading, metal work and wood work, whats the point. home economics can take a back seat for all i care (parents can teach kids how to cook, sow and stuff like that) and english, if engilsh was back to the way it should be i would prob not have any bloody speling mistakes in this sentence and it would be set out with comma's, fullstops, and punctuation.

So all kids will ever learn is English, Maths and Science? The world will become a very boring place. Business studies teaches people about general runnings of a business so they may one day take the initiative to run or manage a business and money and invoices rather than following orders from an angry employer. Arts and music and all that... Companies like Holden need to employ someone with design and artistic talents to design their next commodore, and I've seen ex music students of mine go into audio engineering and production careers. I'm a part time working musician myself outside of full time teaching. Agriculture... Without that kids wouldn't have learnt about, for example, Fruit fly and sterilisation of them and they'd be wiping out our multi million dollar fruit and veg industry. Technology... Someone has to learn how to design and update new software and hardware. Want me to keep going? Bottom line is school is or was designed to give kids experience in a wide variety of fields and it turn give them some direction into some sort of career path. Ideally... :whistling

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Ok, I'm a teacher so ill try and dumnify this for you. its written this way because the old style was just that, old! alot of bullshit words i agree, but its much more sensible to teach by, therefore should be assessed by the same criteria:

Garth said:
received the school report card today, what a bloody joke.

4 new subjects, gone are the old reading, writing, arithmatic.

active citizenship (contains the following)

interacting withing local and global communities (wtf) (SOSE)
operating within shifting cultural idenities (who cares) (SOSE)
understanding local and global economic forces ( can they add up yet) (SOSE/economic...not maths!)
understanding the historical foundation of social movements and civic institutions, (and what in gods name does this mean)? (History)

multiliteracies and communications media (has the following core)
blending traditional and new communications media (communications/ IT)
making creative judgements and engaging in performance (Lifeskills)
communicating using languages and inercultural meanings (LOTE/SOSE)
mastering literacy and numeracy (attempted, do they try?)

life pathways and social futures (life skills - very real life!!!)
living in and preparing for diverse family relationships (most families are broken now, by diverse it covers it all. 'normal' families, homosexual (allthough brief), broken, racial blends, etc etc etc so your kids dont wonder why johnnys skin is a different colour yet he talks the same...)
collaborating with peers and others (life skills, getting along)
maintaining health and care of self (lifeskills - health.)
learning about and preparing for new worlds of work (lifeskills, putting the bullshit into context "why do we learn fractions?"....)
deveoloping initiative and enterprise. (lifeskills, development)

enviroments, technologies and visual arts.
developing a scientific understanding of the world (science)
working with design and engineering technologies (graphics)
building and sustaining environments (ecology/environment/social - the earth around us)

basicaly, can someone outthere with a masteres degree in human relations, that also has a diploma in nuclear physics, nuclear medicin and media studdies please decode all that crap above, so i know what is happening at school, (she is in grade 2)

cheers
a cross eyed and confused garth

Hope that helps a bit. my notes are how i look at it, they are fairly general so your teacher my have slightly different perceptions, generally they wont be much different.