Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scraping noise in reverse only when cold

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
Vf 2 is having some sort of issue ... I need help with finding out what the heck is going on ... upon start up in morning after car has been sitting overnight , car already heated up ready to drive I put the car in reverse and it makes this god awful scrapping noise (doesn’t do it in drive) .. like it’s struggling to get oil or lubricant to somewhere, again this noise happens sometimes when it turns also only on first start up... all fluid levels seem ok, car serviced regularly and is sitting with 192k on clock... p/break is obviously disengaged , there is no shudder to steering wheel but this noise is bugging me ... could anyone throw around some ideas as to what could be going on please?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
More info will help get a reply
And
example...in reverse but stationary ?
in reverse and moving ?
reversing uphill ?
how loud is the noise ?
is sound coming from gearbox area ?
does it go away if stationary for a time while still in reverse ?
when was last gearbox service ?
are you checking oil level hot as soon as car is switched off ?

Last edited:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
You say the oil level seems OK ? Are you 100 % sure about that or just maybe ?.

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
this noise and issues happen when car is moving backwards in reverse not stationary,the noise seems to happen only in the mornings on first use of car for the day, I was inclined to believe that it may be coming from drivers side or from gear box and it can be heard inside the car and out side of car every time I can’t make it not make this noise. It gets worse applying brakes on first drive only coming down drive way but doesn’t happen through out the day, yes fluids levels are all good - I check them weekly(just this morning). I haven’t tried replicating the noise reversing uphill as we have none where I live . This noise has been present for approximately 3 weeks -there has been no loss of power or warning lights etc - motor isn’t running hairy or using more fuel as such but the sound I guess I could likened it to is when a person tried to start a car but it is already on.. god I hope that makes sense.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Brakes? Maybe the pads are dragging a bit on slightly rusted up rotors after sitting overnight?

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Second that,
I would say brakes also,
Buts that’s not to say that there isn’t something stuck under the car on either side that scrapes on the wheel/rim when reversing.

My rotors and pads groan when they are cold, after they have been used once, they have settled down.

If you can spin a spanner,, maybe remove the pads and rough them up on the concrete, and pop them back it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
EPB might need to be looked at.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
this noise and issues happen when car is moving backwards in reverse not stationary,the noise seems to happen only in the mornings on first use of car for the day, I was inclined to believe that it may be coming from drivers side or from gear box and it can be heard inside the car and out side of car every time I can’t make it not make this noise. It gets worse applying brakes on first drive only coming down drive way but doesn’t happen through out the day, yes fluids levels are all good - I check them weekly(just this morning). I haven’t tried replicating the noise reversing uphill as we have none where I live . This noise has been present for approximately 3 weeks -there has been no loss of power or warning lights etc - motor isn’t running hairy or using more fuel as such but the sound I guess I could likened it to is when a person tried to start a car but it is already on.. god I hope that makes sense.
Are you in the part of Qld where it has been raining a lot lately ?
I will go with kruse and crisp as above, brakes
We have an ASX done 40,000 k's and after rain the park brake does not want to let go, and when it does, it does so with a bang.
This happens only after rain

Can you get away with leaving the park brake off over night, maybe chock the wheels, then see if noise is there next morning.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Are you in the part of Qld where it has been raining a lot lately ?
I will go with kruse and crisp as above, brakes
We have an ASX done 40,000 k's and after rain the park brake does not want to let go, and when it does, it does so with a bang.
This happens only after rain

Can you get away with leaving the park brake off over night, maybe chock the wheels, then see if noise is there next morning.
Haha, people who live through snow and ice covered winters don’t put on their handbrakes. Such freezing weather can result in linings sticking to drums and it could rip the lining off the backing plate if you try and drive away (yes I know, don’t ask)...

Likewise, if you’ve got metallic pads, these can lightly fuse to the rotors or drums simply due rain and/or moisture in the air causing light rust on both parts where the rust acts like glue... though i’ve never heard it’s as bad as ripping linings off frozen drums

In my experience such rusting usually just makes annoying noises until a couple of applications wipes everything clean.

BUT didn’t OP say the noise was from the drivers side near the gearbox, not from the rear of the car... in which case it wouldn’t be brakes.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
BUT didn’t OP say the noise was from the drivers side near the gearbox, not from the rear of the car... in which case it wouldn’t be brakes.
I do't believe he has narrowed it down to the box as yet but, in that case is the vehicle parked on an incline allowing gear oil to drain away from certain parts of the box causing noise on start up ?
If so then maybe park on flat area for one night and see what happens next morning, and check gearbox oil as well