Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scraping noise in reverse only when cold

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@SV6SLAVE consider pushing the ACL statutory warranty line as the car, being a well serviced and driven town car. In such usage, it just doesn’t seem to be durable as it shouldn’t be having such issues at 6 years young if it was indeed durable (as ACL requires of products).

Fail enough, start stop driving would put a strain on engine cooling and oiling system so this needs more a frequent servicing according to service schedule but the dealer should have highlighted arch a requirement to you. In any case, your issues aren’t cooling and oiling system related so it’s irrelevant...

Get on to the selling dealer for statutory warranty repairs of these defects which are due to the product not being durable ;)

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
At what point does this god damn stop .... can I just say I’m losing faith in this brand / car - service is due as I knew (booked in for) but can someone just take this thing away - frustration overload.
Sorry your having so many issues. I've been there with some big problems of my own, made far worse by my local Holdens customer service.
I think if rear struts have never been done, its not unreasonable to expect they need doing at those km's. You won't realise how shot they've become until you feel how good new ones are. Not that its necessarily acceptable, but I've had replaced due to failure, mostly within your amount of km's and out of warranty - front control arms, engine mount, front sway bar links twice! (Superpro fail), upper rear control arm bushes, radiator, rocker cover gaskets, various coolant piping, washer reservoir small tube, radiator cap, harmonic balancer, front pulley, EPB module and actuators, think thats about it. Still love the car, it's a keeper with a 250k km birthday present being planned for it. Fuel, even for a V6 is by far the most expensive maintainence. I'm at 29600l/217k km's (6.0l)!!!

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
Just sitting here hoping that nothing else pops up with this vehicle. Any suggestions on where can purchase parts for the work that they recommend gets done ? Garage tax for supplies is kinda high here so trying to help my own pocket here. Open to ideas ..

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Just asking if you have had a few people look at your issues and confirm all these problems. I'm sure you are not taking one persons observations.

One thing i can't understand is this. If you have maintained this vehicle to the required service schedule how in hell did your car end up like this ?

You would need to be the most unlucky person on planet Earth for your car to go tits up like this within the last service period.
Just don't make sense.

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
Just asking if you have had a few people look at your issues and confirm all these problems. I'm sure you are not taking one persons observations.

One thing i can't understand is this. If you have maintained this vehicle to the required service schedule how in hell did your car end up like this ?

You would need to be the most unlucky person on planet Earth for your car to go tits up like this within the last service period.
Just don't make sense.

This is a police car before it came to me so I guess whilst service history is pretty good there are things I myself don’t know , I figured with the 120–30 that I bought it with they would have had to have looked after it. I have owned car 3 years now and put 60 k on it , the town I live in has shot roads and I am guessing that the mechanic I had (same one) didn’t give two rats . I knew about the front Leak but not the transmission thing. As for the engine mounts - that has me stumped. Luck of draw.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Mate, after reading that lot i feel sorry for your car. Its been abused, not maintained properly and banged down bunky roads that would be more suited to a monster truck.

It's no wonder it's fooked.

Maybe buy yaself a toyota 4x4 next time eh. Regards your engine mounts, did it ever roll through your mind that those crap roads ya banging that road car down might of done them in. ?

It's not a hard answer mind you.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
At what point does this god damn stop .... can I just say I’m losing faith in this brand / car - service is due as I knew (booked in for) but can someone just take this thing away - frustration overload.

Whose assessment is that ?

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
Mate, after reading that lot i feel sorry for your car. Its been abused, not maintained properly and banged down bunky roads that would be more suited to a monster truck.

It's no wonder it's fooked.

Maybe buy yaself a toyota 4x4 next time eh. Regards your engine mounts, did it ever roll through your mind that those crap roads ya banging that road car down might of done them in.

It's not a hard answer mind you.

I was making mention to being stumped that they didn’t pick up mounts earlier. Not that they buggered. As a female owner I guess some mechanics see this a mile away :(. I drive quite slow cause I don’t want my head to hit the bloody roof when I drive . Enough is enough fix it and fek it off. Bt50 or Hilux is the next ride. And perhaps getting an upgrade to mounts and a few other bits and pieces in addition to “new” rather then used will help me. Yeah I have been pretty unlucky with cars with this badge to date -previous ones with different badge have had no issues . If I was to list the weird stuff in all Holden’s that have gone belly up you would think I should only be walking, I mean the first few weeks I owned this thing it turned all to German and that should have been my first sign.